Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 4x4's

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2000, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I have a 00' Scrambler 500 also and love it!!! That is, except one thing, it seems that the pvt belt gets wet pretty easily. It's not like I ride up and down creeks all the time but the last water puddle I went thru (about 20 mph and almost up to the boards deep) It got wet and left me sitting for at least 5 minutes. Are there any mods you can do to help? What do the Sportsman's have along the line of water inhibitors for their PVT's?

Old 03-23-2000, 11:30 PM
Range Rover

I put a stage 1 kit from RCR on my '98 Scrambler 400 and it really made a big difference. I'm going to ride it for a while and decide what I want next. But I'm leaning towards a new piston,
reeds, and a bigger carb.

I mounted an ammo box on my grab bar for some trunk space and it looks great. I've got to add
a new brake light though since it got covered up.
If Polaris asked me what to add to the Scrambler I'd tell them to put in a low range and they really would be able to do everything! I had to
get a used '93 Sportsman 350 4X4 to handle plowing.

Old 03-24-2000, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

So what do you Scrambler's think of it's performance in mud? Lets say compared to the good old utility class.(SP500, Xplorer, Magnums, etc...) I am probably going to snorkel the intakes..if I can? I will probably try it out in the deep stuff first...cus' I never had any problems with my Xplorer400.

Keep on Scramblin!

Old 03-25-2000, 11:20 AM
try
Trailblazer

you may want to check the gasket on the belt cover make sure it is intact.Haveing 4 of these machines between me and my brother we floated all four down the river one-day. two of the machines we had problems with two we didn't.now whether that was due to the gasket or hitting the whole to fast and getting water down the intake.I'm not sure.but these are too areas You may want to look at.I even thought about siliconeing in the gasket
cover.but have decited against that idea and founded just easier to stay out of the high water.the other thing You have to keep an eye on is the counter balance shaft oil.when running through water it has the the tendency to accumulate in the counterbalance shaft.at which time you must change a oil or risk ruining the bearings.I found this can be a pain in the butt.so have fun and be careful.
2-400scramblers stock

Old 03-25-2000, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

Did you wet your belt...bad boy, bad boy. First I pulled off the clutch cover and made sure that the rubber seal between the flanges was sound, then i ran a bead of non-hardedning silicone around the groove (so I could take it out again) and put the rubber sealing gasket back on, added a light coat of liquid silicone to the outer flange edge, and bolted it back on. Because of the way the intake faces down towards the front of the quad. I covered it with a very fine stainless screen to allow air through but slow thrown water from endering the clutch housing. You could get adventurous and fabricate an elbow that faces rearward to prevent thrownwater, but thats up to your fabrication ability.

Old 03-25-2000, 11:53 AM
try
Trailblazer

yes i have to agree a low range would be nice sometimes especially when trying to finesse your way around obstacles. boy what a machine that would be speed and grunt.the only question I have is the weight factor what would it do to the machine??well if i ever get the opportunity i would time try taking a lower transmission out of another machine.or has this been tried all raedy??

2-400 Scramblers

Old 03-26-2000, 06:39 AM
Trailblazer

I would not try that due to the screen decreasing the air flow through the tranny. This is just asking for belt problems due to overheating. Most of the time water comes in through the belt cover exhaust due than it being lower than the intake on the bike. Several people have used car heating defroster hose to extend this up higher. See the web site scramblerdomain for pictures of this