Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator in Dirt Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 07:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because I have a Pred on order, I thought I'd pickup a copy of Dirty Wheels just to look back and laugh at. "Polaris did not try to reinvent the wheel with this machine; they just wanted to make it better. Did they? Well, they are making a valiant effort." What kinda mumbo-jumbo journalism is this? A brand new, incredibly tested, researched machine. So if Honda, or Suzuki copy the Preds steering, do you suppose it will be "REVOLUTIONARY"?

The "magazine" and I use the title loosely, continually refers to the design process beginning 3 years ago. Like this design was concrete at that point and has never evolved. Well maybe Polaris should take that as a complement...seeing how that "three year old design" steering system, has no active competition today.

I would have liked to see how Dirty Wheels would've covered the Z-400 (given the loads of Saki and "purchase women&quot if they would've come out with this steering system. I bet it would be the first delivered "publication" (still using the title loosely) with fully working neon lights on the cover.

Kinda funny how Daryl Rath can take a virtually stock Predator and nip at the heels of full mod 250R's, but yet it's lacking on the MX track. Hmmm, maybe it's the Dirty Wheels riders who're lacking.

I love the conclusion "After our short two-day test session, we went away feeling better aabout the Predator 500 than we did the first time testing the Cannondale or the Bombardier DS650". Please, somebody tell me what I'm missing here!!!! The shootouts that this "publication" is planning are going to be reason for firing up the grill and getting the buds together for some Barley-pop. This, I'm sure will be a comedy event at it's best. I hope everyone from the C'dale, Bombardier, and Polaris forums spread the word....let your Dirty Wheels subscriptions go

Ken....who doesn't care what you ride. No offense aimed at owners of other brands, just venting about the "publication".

Old 08-28-2002, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

<<

It is NOT the quad everyone wants. I don't want one, for example.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
>>

It might not be the Quad everyone wants, but I read the articles and I listened to what the dealers were telling me~ and I love the damn thing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Old 08-28-2002, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

<< Just because I have a Pred on order, I thought I'd pickup a copy of Dirty Wheels just to look back and laugh at. &quot;Polaris did not try to reinvent the wheel with this machine; they just wanted to make it better. Did they? Well, they are making a valiant effort.&quot; What kinda mumbo-jumbo journalism is this? A brand new, incredibly tested, researched machine. So if Honda, or Suzuki copy the Preds steering, do you suppose it will be &quot;REVOLUTIONARY&quot;? >>

modquad,

It's called being indecisive. They don't want to P.O. their Japanese masters so they have to make it sound at least a so-so effort from Polaris.

I also liked the part about the steering system being complicated, with more parts to wear out. Nice touch. Basically you get people to think about Polaris reliability (or lack of it in their terms) again.

Still, they don't want to P.O. their little buddies from Japan who purchased them all of that Saki, rented karioke bars (wow, what a &quot;hoot&quot, flew them all the way there and back (they should have just made it a one way ticket and did us all a favor), the bath houses and Geisha girls. Gee, Suzuki must really want to be #1 bad. It kind of makes you wonder HOW bad.

Old 08-29-2002, 03:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Zman, No slamming intended against the 400, we just get a giggle from the Dirty Wheels crew. Sorry if it came across that way. Like it was said before, all these new machines are great for competition between the manufacturers.....and then us after that.

Ken

Old 08-29-2002, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

agree with you all, I have a dale and feel the same way. Cannondale stepped up to the plate with an aluminum framed, aftermarket suspension, revolutionary motor with fuel injection, after market tires and rims, and and and.....and the mags dog it all the time. So I just ride my quad and be happy I own one and hope that other companies make newer and better machines so that every year another company one ups the current crop and we continually get better machines.
yeah for a free market!
graham

Old 08-29-2002, 11:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Just a thought...the C'dale and the Predator are both available with quite a few add-ons available STRAIGHT from their factories/dealers. Does this also P.O. the aftermarket, thinking that the factories are now producing what we once depended on them to produce? Hence reduced number of aftermarket companies, and fewer number of independent advertizers for Dirty Wheels. Just a thought that came up while sitting on a Predator at the Minnesota State Fair....can't wait to have one in the garage. There's no place like home, there's no place like home (clicking my heals, but no Pred in the garage yet).

I know the above comments are reaching, just trying to place logic....probably where logic can't exist. Wondering why these machines (other than ad dollars) recieve such a luke warm reception from this &quot;publication&quot;

SOAPBOX!!!!!!

Ken

Old 08-30-2002, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

Ken, if you think about it, the aftermarket guys will be thrilled. Maxxis now has a contract to produce tires for every predator sold. No advertising neccessary. Same with the wheel company, the shock company, and the pipe company. Money in the bank as far as they're concerned.

I once talked to the President of Goodyear racing tires at a big auto function. He said they spend most of their marketing efforts toward manufacturers vs. the general public. If they can get goodyear tires contracted for every Mustang, Vette, Camaro, Firebird, etc.etc., then their financial stability is excellent.

Old 08-30-2002, 01:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Good point Brent, but as far as footpeg extensions, Roll design equivalents are already there, nerfs, and things. Having worked in the auto industry before aviation, that's very true about them wanting their brands on the vehicle from the word go. Then they hope people will stay with their brand when it comes time to replace/repair.

Ken

Old 08-30-2002, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

Yep. It's also free advertising to everyone who looks at the quad.

Man! December keeps getting farther away. I can't wait to do some free advertising!