Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help!!! thought i got a good deal on a 01 scram??problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 01 scrambler 500 4x4 from the insurance company as a salvage ...it looked like all it needed was an axle,rim & misc pieces
all excited i put the last remaining rim on.after replacing axle etc..
i had it on jackstands (just the rear)i reved it up a little to get the back wheels spinning....got it up to speed???(probably 30-40mph) and all of the sudden BAMM!!! the wheels stopped spinning ubruptly and oil proceeded to oooze from the transmission!!!! *&#@#@**
I inspected to see where it was coming from??? and it looks like it knocked out a big chunk of transmission 1.5 inches x 1.5 right in front of the sprocket???a chunk of bearing fell out????
what happened? did it for some reason engage into 4x4?? what are my options??? can i service this replace half the case etc ,is it advanced(mechanically),or am i better off replacing tranny?
ballpark price? i am in minnesota if anyone feels extra abitious!!!
any help would be appreatiated as i am supposed to be going to a rally next weekend?
Thanks
Dave

Old 08-31-2002, 12:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I was gonna say, if you only needed an axle, I got a stocker in the rafters...seems like you need a little more. Being a neighbor, you have some people at your disposal. You might call Hot Seat (Forest Lake area), or HPD (Princeton area) They might have a "spare" laying around. ATVsalvage.com is another place. If you've got a chunk out of the trans, it's major...sorry to state the obvious, not trying to be smart. Team Industries in Bagley, MN, is where they make 'em, don't think you can go direct though. You did check the trans fluid level first right? Did the chain break to cause this?

Ken

Old 08-31-2002, 01:15 AM
Trailblazer

i was thinking maybe the chain was misaligned from the accident and it jumped the front sprocket causing it to "wedge" and crack the case??
can you buy just one side of the case ?or internal parts???? no the chain did not break???
Thanks
Dave

Old 08-31-2002, 07:30 AM
Range Rover

You can buy just one side or the other, I think. The left is about $150 and the right is $230. I am sure you need the right.