Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler owners honest opinions..??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys (and gals);

I'm looking to get some honest opinions from OWNERS of Scrambler 500 4X4's.

(Not interested in the friends of friends boyfriends husbands sisters cousins Scram that had all sorts of problems).

I just want first hand information here.

1) What do you like MOST about your Scram?

2) What do you dislike the MOST about the Scram?

3) What is the common problem with this machine?

4) Would you buy another one?

Thanks for taking the time.

FH

Old 09-08-2002, 11:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

1)I love the easy to use automatic trans and the great riding suspension with loads of travel and the awsome low end power and the 4x4 on the fly

2)I dont like the way it takes a long time to get to top end speed

3)the most common problem for me is having to replace the belt every so often and the maintence

4)ABSOLUTELY

Old 09-09-2002, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

The Versatility and ease of use,GAS AND GO,In my mind there is NOT a better DO ALL bike on the market today.
Only thing I can think of is weight,Seems to be POLARIS biggest complaint from most.
The Polaris Machines probably require more routine maintance than other brands, Mostly amounting to greaseing the many (15 or so)grease zerts. This should be done on a regular basis, Everything else is like all others, oil change,Air filters.I know you are asking what commonly breaks but if you do the maintanence,not much of anything.
4) Would you buy another one? Absolutely,I just bought a second one to replace our Trailblazer(underpowered).

Old 09-09-2002, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

I used to own a 400 Sport (same thing as the 2x4 Scrammy 400).

Last night I got to drive a 500 Scrambler 4x4 and they felt very similar. I was expecting the 500 to come on stronger than my 400 at the lower end, but I can't say that it did. I think it may have just needed a carb cleaning or something. I could pull my 400 up and ride a nice wheelie with it just by punching it and grabbing the bars. I couldn't get the 500 up that way. I actually had to kneel on the seat and grab a little brake. Then I had to rev it up and let out the brake. It's almost like it didn't come on full power right away. I suppose this could also be cause of the weight of the 4x4 too.

Okay..now to your questions...

1.) The Auto Tranny was great...just gas it and go.

2.) The Auto Tranny...Yeah, I know that I said that was the best part of it, but it was also the worst. Everybody picks on the Polaris because of the auto tranny (everyone that hasn't driven one). My buddies were constantly ragging on me. I know that it doesn't matter what other people think, but it does get annoying after a while...seriously. Another bad part of the machine is some of the polaris parts. They seem really cheaply made (i.e. the throttle assembly and brake assembly). They look like they are made of die cast and they break easily. Let me point out that I only had 1 part actually break on it that wasn't my fault, and it was only a $4.00 part. Anything else I broke was a result of some sort of crash.

3.) Common problems...hmmmm....not sure. I have heard of some tranny problems (cracked cases) as a result of jumping, but I NEVER experienced it. Mine had caught a lot of air in it's time and it always was okay. I have seen or talked to guys that smoked their belts a lot, but it's almost always cause something is out of whack. Mine was a 1998 and I sold it this spring on it's original belt. Never had it slip on me either. Mine was far from babied too. And now Polaris has a lifetime warranty on all their ATV's belts so that's not a big deal anyway (from a financial aspect).

4.) If all I did was ride trails, and had no competition with my riding buddies as to who is the fastest I would own a Scrambler 400 4x4. My 2x4 was so awesome on the trails I can only imagine how good a 4x4 goes.

Also, another little comment on yesterday. I had my 400EX there too and we lined the 500 Scrammy up with it. He got me right off of the line for about 75-100' and then I had a short burst where I gained speed and passed him very quickly. Once he hit top speed the difference between the two was less, but the EX still had it by maybe 5mph. Overall the race was pretty close and was about what I expected. From some of the posts on here, people say that the EX smokes the Scrambler...this wasn't the case. It won, but it didn't smoke it.

Take care.

-Josh

Old 09-09-2002, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer

1. What I like most is the fact that my Scrambler can do anything I ask it too. Climb the ugly hills, ride wheelies, keep up with my friends with true sport quads, and even hit the mud if I want to.

2. What I dislike the most is the brakes. They wear out too quickly and Split brake control is a must.

3. My most common problem always has something to do with the brakes. (usually pads and brake disks)

4. I will not buy another one. When I bought the Scrambler, and up to a year ago, I would not have even considered anything else. Then the Prairie 650 hit the market. This will be my next quad. Not as a replacement though. I will keep my Scrambler. They really are a blast to ride.

Old 09-09-2002, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great responses folks.

Very well thought out, honest responses.

I very much appreciate your replies, and take everything into account when I read them.

Please, keep them coming.

Herb

Old 09-09-2002, 01:06 PM
Range Rover

I do like the Scrambler 500 4x4, I feel I can go anywhere on my machine.Good power for woods riding. I dont like the heavy feel of the bike though.For a great all around bike, the scrambler cant be beat in my opinion.The only problem I have had was the factory left the rubber that goes in the brake fluid resevior lid on the rear ,out. Causing me to leak fluid. Opened resevior to add more fluid, saw no gasket just lid.My stepdad has same exact machine, that's how we narrowed it down so quickly,he has had no probs. either.If polaris dropped 150lbs of the weight it would be an awesome machine, again my opinion.Hope this helps.

Old 09-09-2002, 01:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that is, in my opinion, a sport quad that is 4wd, so I can get in the goo and crawl or play in 8" of snow. I can jump it without thinking I am going to break something like with a Grizzly or another utility.

No low range for the tranny.

Could be lighter. Heard about tranny cracks, but I imagine that is more likely with poor chain adjustment.

Yes, but only if it already had EBS installed.

SnowDrift

Old 09-09-2002, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

>> The On-Demand 4x4 is absolutly amazing, I dont see how anybody who rides trails could do without this feature. Its 2WD when you want to play around, and when you need it, its 4WD. The suspension is also amazing. I have a stock setup and I have yet to bottom out, and I have had that thing WAY in the air.
>> It is a little heavy. It would be nice if it was lighter.
>>The ONLY problem I have had with mine is the carburator come disconnected from the engine upon landing after a couple of HUGE jumps. This problem is easily fixed by adding in some spacers on the bracket that holds the carburator in place.
>> I dont see how anybody could buy anything different. I LOVE this machine.

Old 09-09-2002, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

best
I love my Scrambler, it keeps up with all the sport quads I ride with and can hit the mud with thre utes.
worst
It is a bit heavy but I am so used to it now it doesn't matter.
I can ride wheelies quite a distance with it. Jumps well for its size. The UN-availability of after market mods, I hear they do not gain that much with a pipe like a 2 stroke would, so a pipe, clutch kit, filter, jetting is all required to really gain speed, or just go with the big bore kit, and I would like the brakes split, even though they work great as is.
probs
havent had any tha were not my fault yet, have pretty much ridden it hard for 5 months now in many different terrains.
buy another,
I would DEFINITELY buy another, but my next quad may be a utility quad.

Quick Reply: Scrambler owners honest opinions..??