Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sp500vs.grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2000, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Minneapolis Star and Tribune has 12 polaris,7 Yamaha,5 Honda,2 Suzuki,and 1 Arctic Cat.

Old 03-31-2000, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

I was informed that when you run the switch midway you'll end up burning up the switch.It never took me 30 minutes to change the plug especially since I was getting better at it doing it so many times.

Old 04-01-2000, 04:39 AM
Pro Rider

That may be true y2 as in the case with my AC 500 when in mud both wheels spin but not with the effort of the true 4 wheel drive sportsman, if one of the wheels were stopped while in the mud this wheel would stop and the other one would spin...thus creating 3 wheel drive

my next scenario sportsman is going through the mud all 4 wheels spin REGARDLESS OF WHAT...there is no shifting of power from one wheel to the other as in a limited slip...which leads to the conclusion of REAL 4 WHEEL DRIVE

My next scenario you are going up a very steep hill on the limited slip when one wheel starts spinning the power is relayed to the other wheel and this not even true in some bikes...I won't mention any brands in fear of creating a war.

Now you are going up a steep hill with the sportsman there is no transfer from the weaker side because both wheels are locked in pulling the same amount...no switching no limited slip just pure 4 wheel pulling power...I am in no way doing this to favor the sportsman because I own an AC 500 with the new limited slip like the rancher, it is a great bike, pulls great muds great but it will not pull with the sportsman.
Newtons law is for every action there is an opposite or equal reaction so........the action is 3 wheels pulling compared to 4 wheels pulling...can I make it any simpler than this, the only way that the polaris TRUE 4 WHEEL DRIVE system could be improved is to make it so it could be engaged without the rear wheel slippage.

My last point is I have hooked back to back with the AC 500 and a brand new honda forman 450 let them get going and told them when they felt confident tell me when...well guess what happened so what do you think of your theory now of tying a grizz to a telephone pole...and yes I would like to hook to the back of Griz and let him tell me when...

We will now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Old 04-02-2000, 04:48 PM
Range Rover

My, Theory?

Could, you mean my test , well it still digs 4-Holes, so calling it a "Theory", dose not change that.

Was, your post an attempt to justify the 3-WD claim?.

How dose, pulling against a 450 Honda with your A.C., relate to observing a Quad tied to a station object, purely to see if all 4-tires
would dig in?.

As for your other statements, I never Questioned
TRUE-4WD, or it's Tractive ability

One should remember, when quoting a Postulate
along the lines of "Equal and Opposite Reaction"
(credited now by smaller and smaller circles to
Sir Issac Newton, turning out to be another "Tesla
vs Edison" situation), the very nature of that,
can be used both For and Against.

As I, was aware when I USED IT PREVIOUSLY, and mentioned both sides so.

Time to change the channel.

The Course we're on, is Shallow.

Great day

Y2K

As far, as lockers go no one, I know or heard of
has been Injured or killed yet!

Old 04-02-2000, 04:59 PM
Range Rover

I must say that in the past 10 years of my atving life, I believe that 4x4 riders are the most opinionated stubborn people ever born. I think of atving as a sport.. just like baseball.. I haven't ever seen baseball players argue over who's bat or glove is better... If you would read your own posts you would hate yourselves for sounding like childish 8 year olds. I ride Polairs.. but I don't put down yamaha because I know the Grizzley is an awesome quad.. I'm not saying that it's better than ANY others but there is no point in argueing.. I consider it a privelage to ride with anyone and anything, even if it is a yamaha, honda, suzuki, kawie, or ac.. I disagree with some of the things on this post, but atving, you are opinionated, but I agree with you.. not that polaris is better, but you put facts behind your points..

Thanks
David

Old 04-02-2000, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

oh no has someone finally exposed that polaris sucks oh my god poaris owners are going to revolt never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Old 04-02-2000, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks David most of my post are all in good fun and I do think I produce a pretty good fact to go behind them. I used to give the Polaris guys a hard time and as all machines the Polaris does have its down falls. Even when I gave the Polaris guys a hard time before I bought one I never did fail to admit even with the problems that Polaris had they are the King in mud and trail and I really do believe most of the problems that Polaris had was from the older machines that is why I took a chance on the sportsman seems Polaris has got a lot of the bugs worked out and still is working on it.

Now to answer your post y2

My, Theory?
Could, you mean my test , well it still digs 4-Holes, so calling it a "Theory", dose not change that.

>Yes but in your test with the four holes digging
did you try binding one of the wheels you would have seen that one wheel can be stopped unlike the true 4 wheel drive system...if you had one wheel binded on the polaris wouldn't you now have a similar setup as a 3wd???

Was, your post an attempt to justify the 3-WD claim?.

>What claim is this that it is 4 wheels pulling the way the system is built it is impossible for 4 wheels to be pulling they either have to be sharing the front wheel power as I have talked about in mud situations or either the wheels alternate when binded shifing the power

How dose, pulling against a 450 Honda with your A.C., relate to observing a Quad tied to a station object, purely to see if all 4-tires
would dig in?.

Well wasn't your point that you were trying to make something more out of the 3wd system that it actually is. I was just trying to illustrate thtat an example of which pulls best with them hooked back to back...seemed the 4 wheel drive system was superior and this is a non bias opinion cause i also have a 3 wd system.

As for your other statements, I never Questioned
TRUE-4WD, or it's Tractive ability

>ok y2k you also made some good points in another forum when you were talking about you had seen a place where you would have rather been on 3wd machine than a 4wd i really haven't experience this but i did see a place the other day where i wish the polaris could have been put into 4wd manually without the back wheels slipping before the front end engaged. I was on a rail road track over top of a drain hole that was steep on a sideways angle, I was actually standin with both feet on one of the footrest leaning away from the angle now here would have been a place where i didn't want any slipping to occur on the rear.

One should remember, when quoting a Postulate
along the lines of "Equal and Opposite Reaction"
(credited now by smaller and smaller circles to
Sir Issac Newton, turning out to be another "Tesla
vs Edison" situation), the very nature of that,
can be used both For and Against.

>I don't really see your point here, my observation of equal reaction is if you have the rubber pulling with 4 tires instead of 3 would not the rubber of 4 tires actually pulling the dirt thus creating more momentum to force the object in the direction you want it to go would not less contact between dirt and tire with 3 wheels instead of 4 be a negative bearing considering the weight you are trying to move???

As I, was aware when I USED IT PREVIOUSLY, and mentioned both sides so.

>ok, point taken

Time to change the channel.

>is this anything like we are now returning you to your regularly scheduled program

The Course we're on, is Shallow.

well I think it is always a good debate, I must agree the new limited slip is a lot better than it used to be. At least on the AC, I have heard some of the Ranchers complaining about it. But in comparing it to the true 4wd system it really is a sugar coated system...just don't understand why don't honda put a 2 to 4 wd switch on there atv's so then you could add lockers and still have easy system now there would be something worth debating, I assume the honda would be easier to steer in 2wd but would have real 4 wd, doesn't this make sense instead of improving on a system that still won't pull with a true 4wd system anxious to hear your responce on this one.

Great day

>You to y2 always enjoy your post just shows we can express different opinions and outlooks on things without name calling.

Y2K

As far, as lockers go no one, I know or heard of
has been Injured or killed yet!

>this again I believe has to do with the experience of the rider you agree y2k

In summary all bikes have good and bad points, the sp500 has a lot of things that I am going to change to my likings. There will never be a bike with everything you want...but I do believe the 4wd system of the Polaris is a step in the right direction.

Old 04-02-2000, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

Instead of getting mad and resorting to childish name calling why don't you leave us a post with some FACT so everyone don't think your a *#%^$ with a small I.Q. I still haven't been convinced that a 3 wheel drive system is better than a 4. What forum are you reading from where anybody got convinced...

Old 04-03-2000, 09:27 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Bill, My neighbors 400 xplorer, 99 model Pulled a stock 99 grizz by about 1 1/2 bike lengths..Im with you on this one..I Also pulled the grizz with my 300 xplorer... up over the bank I just climbed..O.k, So Im being childish, but its fun..
Happy trails!

Old 04-04-2000, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

I on a high quality sportsman 500 atv. Alough the grizz's top speed is only about 2mph faster, i still believe the sportsman is just as powerful. PPPPPPPPPOOOOOOOLLLLLLLAAAARRRRIIIISSSSSS
PPPPOOOOWWWWEEEERRRR!!!!!!