Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

FMF pipe on Scrambler 400 any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I should be pretty quick with this set up if I get my clutch worked out to be right? It seeems a lot more quicker now just without the stock stuff on it. What other mods would you recommend for the 400 Scrambler that will add some speed without breaking the bank? I thought about a v-force reed cage. They seem to be able to add hp for not a lot of money.

Old 09-16-2002, 11:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Like Bubba said, return it if you can. I had an FMF pipe, once upon a time, split wide open twice. The reason it didn't fit very well is because I think they were originally designed for the non-concentric mid 90's machines. You're on the right track with the v-force reeds, better on the dyno than the Boyson's. Lighten up the machine, aluminum front bumper and floorboards (or nerfs) use a magnet to see which ones are on your machine now....magnet doesn't stick to aluminum. Get rid of the oil injection too, premix 40:1 with Polaris non-synthetic. And listen to the advice of Bubba, Elroy, and others, great group, you can learn lot's....then smoke lot's...of your buddies that is.

Ken

Old 09-16-2002, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer

I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep the pipe on, at least for now until I see how it does. I already cut my plastic to get the clutch to work. The pipe looks real nice and the sound is also a treat to hear. Way different than stock. I wish there were more Scramblers around where I live because it helps to get ideas about mods. Everyone around here is pretty much thinking Polaris is junk and automatics suck. I tend to disagree.

Old 09-16-2002, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

jump1979man

You will probably be ok, You just will not be getting the full potential that the bike could be adding. From what Elroy said that is a Low/Mid pipe. Most of your other pipes out there from the Polaris people are Mid/high end pipes. You will be making most of your power down low and it will taper off. The Mid/High pipes actually loose some low end, that is the reason the clutch engagement is so high on the kit for HPD,HSP etc,etc.
I know RCR and AAEN both make low end pipes, Call them, tell them what you got, and they will make suggestions

Old 09-16-2002, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

I might eventually have to go and get a different pipe maybe once I decide to do some engine work. Hopefully it will work for now.

Old 09-16-2002, 08:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Like Bubba said, it's gonna be an improvement from stock. Now get yourself some clutch tuning to match, and you'll have some fun. The fun thing is being the underdog, and surprising your buddies once you tap that Polaris power...oh,oh,oh.

Ken

Old 09-16-2002, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer

Do you think it would have enough power and speed the way it is now to win some short drags?

Old 09-17-2002, 03:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Depends who and what you're running against. Get your clutch tuned to match...that's the best thing to do now.

Ken

Old 09-17-2002, 06:52 PM
Range Rover

I have the FMF pipe on mine and it fit perfect. Slid right on my 99 Sport. I have the HPD clutch kit with 58 weights,red-yellow spring for the primary and violet(I Think) for the secondary. Cannot remember the Helix. You can also take 30 thousands off the head to get your compression up and still run pumpgas. Alsowhen you have the funds let Ritter doa port job.

Ronnie

Old 09-17-2002, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Snoopy61, how much of a difference was it when you raced other quads? Did you beat most or were you limited with top speed restrictions of the pipe? Also did you have to move the clutch up when you installed the pipe?

Quick Reply: FMF pipe on Scrambler 400 any thoughts