Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sway Bar Quick Release

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 10:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of you owners of Polaris IRS machines listen up. I have on my last ride run an experiment and found that disconnecting the sway bar on a Polaris machine is the only way to fly when you are tackling rough terrain. It gives the rear suspension a lot more travel and keeps the quad more stable. The down side to disconnecting the sway bar is when you are on flat ground traveling above 25MPH you quad will corner like a school bus. I have come up with an idea that solves this problem. I have had my idea made into a proto type and will be testing it on my next ride. It is a quick release for the sway bar. You just simply pull the pin and rotate the sway bar out of the way and when you find you need the sway bar for cornering again you just put the pin back in.

These parts are hand made out of stainless steel and are all hand made at this time. If any one is interested in the final product let me know so I know how many I need made in the first batch. The kit will sell for 100.00 and that will include one quick release and pins for both sides of your sway bar. Take a look at the pictures I have taken of the proto type.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...&members=1

Old 09-16-2002, 03:30 PM
Range Rover

I am surprised to see no one is interested in this new part. Hmmmm You guys who love to mud you would have an advantage with a true independent suspension. Try it out some tome and disconnect your sway bar and see how you like it. Let me know.

Old 09-16-2002, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer

can this quick release be done on the fly

Old 09-16-2002, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wonder how long this post will last on here?

Most ads get yanked the first day or so!

Old 09-16-2002, 09:38 PM
Range Rover

No you cant switch on the fly. You have to stop and pull the pin. Advertisment? Yes I gues it is but I am just a regular guy who has come up with a great idea and just wanted to let everyone know.

Old 09-17-2002, 02:09 AM
Range Rover

Ok I installed the new parts tonight and the fit perfectly. I rode around a little and beat the rear suspension hard a few times and so far so good. I will really give them a work out this weekend.

Old 09-17-2002, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Hairback, Congrats on a good idea and what looks to be a well-made mod! I don’t know how big your market will be for this product but if you get requests for it from riders with lift kits you’ll need to make some taller (longer) units for that application.

Over the years I’ve read of a few “mountain riders” disconnecting their sway bars. Some have been very pleased with the results, others have been sort of luke-warm about the idea. I suppose it depends on riding style and difficulty of terrain. Your idea certainly appears to make it easy to switch between sway bar and no sway bar. I’m not too sure if this has a real mud application though. The mud we’re in is sort of soupy without obstacles underneath. Not too much off-camber stuff in there.

A couple years ago I was making and promoting an “easy steer kit” on this forum. It wasn’t my idea originally but after making a couple of prototypes to try on my machines I came up with a design superior to any other I’d seen and started offering them here. The units I sold got rave reviews and for a while I got a real kick out of being an “ATV accessory manufacturer.” But making them was like factory work and I soon tired of it. Plus it was interfering with the time demands of my “real job.” When the HO came out with its improved steering geometry requests for the product dwindled, which was timed well with my growing lack of interest in making them. Although I must say, I designed a kit for my HO because of the 27” Bi-Claws I was running and ran it until the tires were worn out. Thinking maybe the kit was unnecessary and wanting some of my tight turning radius back, when I put new 27” 589s on a few weeks ago I took the kit off. That lasted one day of riding. The next morning I reinstalled the kit and it will stay there. Steering and handling is sooooo much easier using the kit with those aggressive tires.

So don’t be too disappointed if only you and a few others really appreciate your innovative product. You can take pride in its inception and quality production, and since it fits your riding style, you’ll have the enjoyment of using it on the trail. Well done!

Old 09-17-2002, 12:53 PM
Range Rover

Thank you for your incite. I have never thought that I would need longer ones for a lift kit as I don't run a lift myself but that would be no problem. I will make however many people want I guess. I am not trying to really make a profit here I am just trying to see if anyone else likes my idea and needs one. I ride a lot of off cambers and rocky slopes. The terrain I ride is down right scary as hell with the sway bar connected. The quad is a whole new rock monster without the sway bar connected. I guess it does depend on the terrain you ride I guess. I would have thought the guys that ride Moab all the time would have been climbing all over one another trying to get one of these parts but so far no interest at all. I guess you have to try your quad without the sway bar once to appreciate the new quick release.

Old 09-17-2002, 10:08 PM
Range Rover

I have some more news today. I talked to the machinist today and I showed him my quad so he could see what it was that he was making. He said that he thought that the part did not need such a heavy duty material. He thinks that if we use a aluminum alloy that it would be stronger that it was originally. The best part is that if they are made from the aluminum alloy material I can make them for 50.00 a set instead of 100.00 bucks a set. I had a set made today with the aluminum material and I will test out the stainless on my machine and the aluminum on my buddies machine. If we have no problems with the lighter material it would be a lot cheaper to make.
I also have posted a few installed photos for you guys to see where the new part is located.

I will keep you al posted as the parts are tested.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...&members=1

Old 09-18-2002, 07:24 AM
Pro Rider

Hairback, I would think any concern of strength would be for the joint or “connection” in your design. The part you are replacing is made of aluminum and so are the taller ones that come with lift kits. There are really only two types of stress this part has to endure in the normal operation of the machine, tension (stretch) and compression. Sheer is of no concern. As long as your joint doesn’t allow lots of slop aluminum should work just fine.

I’d think about buying a set for $50, even though it wouldn’t be used much in my type of riding. There are certain situations it could be a real advantage.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Quick Release