Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400 liquid engine disassembly questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The webmaster must have deleted my first post about this so I'll pick my wording more carefully. I think my 94 400L's engine is pretty well toast but before I start my look for another engine I need some tips on how this engine is split apart. I've got all the case bolts out that I can see. I have the oil pump out,the flywheel,stator assy, and that whole rt side case that the stator mounts too off.I have the 2 bolts out that holds down a bracket that appears to retain the counterbalancer bearing in the case. I can't turn the counterbalancer and i can't pull it out either. I can jiggle the crankshaft a little bit within the play that has formed between the counterbalancer gear and the crank gear, but I can't get the crankcase split apart. I can get about 1/16" gap between the cases and thats it.Does the crank gear have to come off first ? I see the 2 gears have threaded holes for a puller of some sort. It's sunday and my dealer is closed and I'd like to get this apart further today yet . Thanks for any help.

Old 09-22-2002, 07:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You'll need a counterbalancer puller, also there's a spanner nut on the LH side of the motor that has a special socket. I would very strongly suggest that you get yourself a service manual...especially if you're tackling splitting open a case. Lot's of tips, pics, and torque specs, so the engine doesn't disassemble itself on your first ride.

Ken

Old 09-22-2002, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I already have the spanner nut off.It's on the right side behind the flywheel. Is there also one on the left. I see the engine parts breakdown on partsland.com. I fully intend on getting a manual and getting my dealer involved. I'm well schooled and experienced with automotive repair and sled repair, but I've never been inside this particular engine. I 100% agree with anyone who says the proper repair includes the proper tools,knowledge, and techniques. Does the counterbalancer come out as an assy ? Why is the three holes threaded into it ? Is it a puller type tool to pull it out or is it used with a slide-hammer type tool ?

Old 09-23-2002, 12:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The counter-balancer is a puller, not a slidehammer. Didn't intend to be mean, just when you're gonna get that deep, the manual is one valuable tool.

Ken

Old 09-23-2002, 03:00 PM
KEP
Trailblazer

The manual mentions heating the case where the counterbalancer is held in the left case, apparently a tight pressed fit that needs some heat expansion.

Old 09-23-2002, 07:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got it apart today with the aid of a dealership manual. I've found that the oil pump drive gear on the end of the counterbalancer has broken off and wasn't turning the oil pump. The large counterbalancer bearing behind the large gear is also seized up and junk. The crankshaft bearings sound rough.Cases look to be ok. I don't see any cracks anywhere.I'm a little concerned because the crankshaft slid out of the PTO side case pretty easily. The bearings stayed in the case instead of on the crankshaft. I got the two large crank bearings out and I can slide them on and off the pto end of the crank. It may be cheaper for me to find a good 350 or 400 bottom end as I'm told they are the same. Maybe somebody blewup a crank,rod or cases and has a good counterbalancer ?