Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

A List for 700 Owners !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are some of the problems that I have been seeing with the 700 that you should all look out for.

1.The most important the water pump cover !!!!!

2.Rear wheel bearings.Loose around 1000 miles.

3.PTO seal leaking (have to take belt cover off)

4.Transmission cover leaks(front output Shaft) bolts are not tight.

5.Carb leaks @ high speeds.

6.Really bad tire shake (Raw Hides)

7.Upper rad hose (left side)

8.Rear brake line wearing.(Between belt cover and air box)

9.Wire @ front diff.(Tie it back in the frame so it won't get ripped out).

10.Orings for starter leaking and damaging the end bearing(water & mud)

11.Front a arm bolts coming loose.

These are what I can think of at this time. This list may look bad but I am only listing these problems so you all can maybe catch them before it cost you $$$$$$.If anyone has more to add let me know.

I own one and love it,just trying to help out fellow riders.
Thanks

Old 09-26-2002, 01:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

douglasss(Trailblazer)Ontario- Thanks for the updates. I have found excesive wear on the upper left rad hose and corrected it.

I have printed off your list and will go through the items you described. If I find any more to add I will let you know.
Thanks again.

Brad

Old 09-26-2002, 12:14 PM
Trailblazer

Doug-

Thanks for the list. I own a 02' SP700 and love it, despite the problems. The only problem on your list I've seen on my machine is the water pump cover. I'll check into the others.

Another thing I'd suggest to all 700 owners is to look at the wire harness that connects to the "tick tock" switch, or thermostat on the lower right corner of the radiator. This switch senses water temp, and turns the fan on and off. Make sure that the harness is dressed well - from the factory it kinda hangs out in the open. Mine got ripped off by a branch - caused the machine to overheat. Had to buy a new T-stat from the dealer - cost me $75 for a $5 part - what a ripoff -- I'm in the electronics biz, and I know what these things cost (they are making a nice profit!!). When I replaced the switch, I put a "service loop" in the wire harness and zip tied it to the body of the T-stat for a strain relief.

Q: Has ANYONE put together a formal letter or document to send to Polaris describing these defects? If not, I'd be interested in coordinating with fellow 700 owners to compile a letter to Polaris's QA dept. I feel that Polaris should recall the 700 for the water pump cover. Post your thoughts. The only way Polaris can improve this machine is from customer feedback - you can't always rely on the dealers to communicate these problems to the factory.

KEVLAR