Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Broken Motor Mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002 | 10:07 AM
|
Trailblazer

My Trailboss is only, well not even 7 months old and it already has a broken front motor mount. I noticed it just shortly after I installed a green clutch spring. Could the more agressive takeoff have cause this? Well, I have ordered a new one, but it won't be in until friday and I was wanting to ride tomorrow with some freinds. Question- could I drill a hole through the bushing, place washers on the top and bottom of the bushing and run a bolt from the bracket all the way through the bushing? I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I don't want to damage the frame or anything. Someone please give me some feedback on this............Thanks

Old 10-02-2002 | 11:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

What part is broken on the mount.The threaded end at each side of the rubber?They do have heavy duty mounts.But if it is the rubber mount and not the actual angle bracket that bolts to the motor you can take enough washers that equal the same width as the rubber and then take a bolt and bolt them up just like the rubber mount.It will be a good temp, fix.The heavy duty mounts only cost 13.00 a peice.Or if you can get the threaded part out of the mount you can drill a hole and put a bolt through just like you said.

Old 10-02-2002 | 11:37 AM
|
Trailblazer

Yes, the threaded peice came completely off the rubber bushing. The motor kept sliding over about 1/2", and I kept pushing it back over and tightening the nut at the top because I thought that there was a bolt running all the way throught it. Finally I took the bracket loose to try to see what the heck was going on and I realized that the rubber is molded around the threaded/bolt washer type deal. So I wondered if I could put the same size washers on top and bottom of the rubber bushing and run a bolt all the way through it without putting any strain on the frame. I wouldn't think it would hurt, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had any opinions......Thanks

Old 10-02-2002 | 01:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That would work just fine.Probably better than stock one.

Old 10-02-2002 | 09:04 PM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks, I will give it a try, at least until the mount comes in.

Old 10-02-2002 | 09:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

In a much needed emergency, go for it. as long as you are keeping the same setting on alignment of the motor and still leaving the motor some moving room, it shouldnt hurt a thing. Still only a temp fix. I wouldnt let this bother me too much,either. I ran stock mounts with the race setup longer than I should have, and they never broke. You must have had a bad molding of the mount. Bubba

Old 10-02-2002 | 10:34 PM
|
Trailblazer

Bubba, there is only one front motor mount, so there's only one bolt hole. There's no way I could change the alignment, is there?

Old 10-02-2002 | 11:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mossman, it just hit me. The studs on the mount on the 4-stroke is facing up and down instead of left and right like the 2-cycles correct? If that is right like I think it is, you will be ok, just still try to keep the measurment (thickness) the same. any change will change the center distance on the clutch, but it would be minor in this case. Go for it.Bubba

Old 10-03-2002 | 10:35 AM
|
Trailblazer

yes, that is correct. the only difference will be that the bolt will run all the way through the bushing instead of the two threaded peices that are attatched to each end. I have washers that cover the entire surface of the bushing. It will look exactly the same, but the bolt will run all the way through. The only thing I wonder about is whether or not the mount will still let the motor move since it will be bolted directly to the frame. Also, I dont want to put any strain on the frame where the mount bolts up. I could just skip riding today and pick up the mount tomorrow, which I may do anyway. I just hate the fact that I can't ride because of a faulty part. I know it was a bad mount because the bottom peice had almost seperated completely just like the top peice.