Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sp700 off-cambers

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 03:18 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my new '03 Sp700 for two weeks now and am thoroughly impressed. If I had to describe this machine I would say it is the most composed, confidence inspiring sport/ute ATV I've ever ridden. Rocks are a breeze. Tight-woods trail riding and cornering behaviors are rock-solid. But the most impressive characteristic of this quad is the way it handles sidehills. I have an '01 Sp400 and it made me very wary of sidehilling do to a 'tipping' feeling caused by body rollover. With my Sp700 I can roam freely on sidehills and even climb over medium(4-7&quot logs without worrying about rolling it.

My question is: What would I have too do to make the suspension on my Sp400 as composed as my Sp700? I believe I have the front taken care of with a Progressive spring kit and HD springs, but even on the stiffest setting the rear on my 400 is quite a bit more squishy than the 700. Will the factory 700 shocks(are the shocks the same???) and springs fit on my 400? or would I be better off ordering a $28 set of HD rear springs from EPI?

Old 10-05-2002, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider

the only thing I can think of is the extra weight of the 700 makes the suspension work better. I read this somewhere, and I believe it because my 3/4 ton pickup rides better with a ton of weight in the back. The 700 has to have a beefy suspension, therefore it works better because it is heavy. Not that the 400 is light, but it is a little different setup. I don't see how you could ad weight to the 400, so I would try some different rear springs. Maybe 700 rears would work, but then again the machine is lighter...
I turned my 700 over trying to cross a big downed tree at an angle, it didn't seem like I was tipped very far when it just suddenly snapped right over. I had just crossed the same tree with my wifes Scrambler with no problem and never came close to tipping. Another time I rode along a long hill behind 2 other guys, and I couldn't make it as far as they did. We ended up with me and another guy hanging from the left floorboard to keep it from rolling. The other machines were an 01 sp400 and an 01 yamaha big bear 2x4. Oh, and this was before I put the lift in. So, I wish I had your confidence in sidehills, or maybe I don't.
My friend with the 400 complains alot about his front springs being too soft. I told him about the HD springs.

Old 10-06-2002, 05:23 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to check with my dealer to see what all is different between the rears of these two machines. If the the shocks turn out to be the same part # I'll go with the HD springs. If not I'll see if the whole 700 setup will work on my 400.

Old 10-06-2002, 06:22 PM
Range Rover

try some 6 ply tires.
the stiffer side wall it what gives alot less body roll.

Old 10-06-2002, 08:52 PM
Range Rover

Already had that in mind...as soon as my Tracker P's are toast I'll be throwin' on a set of Rawhides with ITP Delta X wheels(guaranteed not to bend). They'll do everything I need them to do and a lil' more. Love 'em on my 700. I'll try swapping out the tires b/w the two(pretty sure they have the same bolt pattern???) when I get home and see how much it helps. However, close is not good enough...I love the way the 700 rides and I want my 400 to handle just as good(**** retentive when it comes to my quads). Still may need stronger springs. We'll see. Thanks PolarisMech.

Old 10-06-2002, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

how much does the 700 weigh?

Old 10-06-2002, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

740 lbs dry. Add about 50 lbs for oil and fuel. oh yeah, antifreeze too. Average guy puts it up to a half a ton! wow

Trending Topics

Old 10-07-2002, 12:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Northstar,
a little off the subject but i have a question. i notice you put a 2K Warn on your 700. have you used it? is it strong enough to pull it?
i'm shopping a winch and can't decide between the Warn or Ramsey models.
thanks,
-MT

Old 10-07-2002, 12:53 AM
Range Rover

The only thing that has helped me with side hilling is to disconnect the sway bar. Check these pictures out and look at the differance.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...&members=1

Old 10-07-2002, 01:02 AM
Range Rover

MT,

I know you weren't asking me...Deal with it.

I have a 2K warn on my '01 Sp400 and think it has plenty of power (for my needs). With all accessories and my fat *** we tip the scales around 1000lbs and haven't found a situation yet where I couldn't pull myself, or anyone else for that matter, out. I've even sunk my machine and had only the power of the winch to pull myself out- worked fine(semi-firm sand bottom river). As long as you can keep driving force to the tires while you winch, you will have absolutely NO problem. The only situation that I could think of where it MIGHT have some trouble is if you sank yourself really deep, in some really sticky mud, and had only the power of the winch to get you out. Not sure about that though...Haven't done that, sure as heck ain't gonna try it(on purpose anyway).

Quick Reply: Sp700 off-cambers