Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 75 HP from a scrambler 500

Can it be done? If so who has one and how many dollars? No NOS

Old 10-13-2002, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

Rick Ritter told me there were serious flow issues with the 500 Scrambler SOHC head. It just doesn't lend itself to a lot of horsepower with out major rework. Port shape, and cam clearance for increased lift were two problems sited. It is not designed as a high horsepower head.
.......The Predator by contrast, is ready to rock. You don't have to rebuild or redesign anything. It is really ready to race.
If you need a 75 hp sport 4x4, then you'll have to wait just like the rest of us.
........Hmmm, interesting,,,,who will come out with the first big bore sport 4x4? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2002, 12:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Fourlix- I hate waiting. I was just a thought. I want a 75hp motor. Can't get there with the rappy. I have tried and tried. I have one of the fastest rappy's around. LOoking for more. Maybe the kawi700?? Lose about 75 lbs and shove a harley, honda,yamaha V- twin in it.

Fourlix- are you interested in building me the beast?? Not much harder than the raptoette you built.

Starting to look like the shee is the only way to go. I have seen a lot of fast quads and really except for a few here and there the fast ones are shee's.

Old 10-14-2002, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

Actually, the Polaris 400 2-stroke Sport/Scrambler/Trailblazer is supposed to be capable of about 70 horsepower with a pipe, reeds, porting, polishing, etc... I know it's not a 4-stroke, but I've seen some damn fast 400 Polaris's out there. With the engine mods and clutch mods from places like HPD, Hot Seat, and AAEN (all snowmobile engine builders with good reputations), you can really make that thing fly. The only problem is that it's still pretty heavy. I'm going to be buying one for my wife, and building it up as she gets used to the power and wants more. It'll be a good bike for her, and for friends that have never ridden before (auto tranny is a plus for beginners). And, a new bike's msrp is only $4700. I mean, if you're not gonna be jumping at a mx track, I think they've got potential. I saw some stock bikes out at Winchester Bay (Oregon) yesterday, and one of them (stock motor with about a 250-pound rider) made it up one of the tallest and steepest dunes I've ever seen with the stock rear tires. After seeing that, I've got all the confidence in the world to put my wife on one, point her at a dune, and tell her to give it full throttle till she gets to the top. That's my 2-cents.

Old 10-14-2002, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

get a turbocharger for your raptor,then you'll have 75+ hp.

Old 10-14-2002, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

Knutz's 760 Bombardier was the most awesome quad I've ever been on. A 4" extended swingarm made it feel just right. Even though the DS is heavy compared to a Raptor, Knutz's DS felt right at home, with power from idle all the way up to 8,000+ rpm. It must be in the 75 hp range.
....... Anything cobbed together is going to be a little heavy anyway, especially in the horsepower numbers you are talking about.
....... I am hoping for a Suzuki V-twin quad based on their own SV-650 sportbike. Unlike the Prarie, this motor has a gearbox, if they put an auto clutch in it for a quad, you could use the sportbike parts to make it a manual clutch. I also hope they up the displacement a little, at least 700 cc to match their Kawi counterpart.
.........Sure would be cool if they blew our minds by making it a full blown desert racer/dune machine, with a true sport 4x4 version as well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
..........Yamaha has had great success with the Raptor, these industry guys have to realize that a cutting edge machine has great market potential.

Old 10-14-2002, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

If you want to mod the 500 is not the way to go. The 400 can be made fast, I think you would be surprised, I wish I could make it up there this weekend to show you but the storm put my travel money out of pocket so wont be making it this time, plus my bike is setup for sand anyway. You need to come to La Dunes trick a treat weekend!! want to see that rappy run. but you are right Shee will be the fastest no way around it trust me I tried.

Old 10-14-2002, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

The Polaris 400 is capable of 90HP, HPD makes a kit for it. Mickey Dunlop makes a 628cc kit for the 500, but I have never seen any HP numbers. Mike Chero was supposed to be working on some clutching with Mickey for the 628, but I haven't heard any results. I don't think anyone has truly seen what the 500 is capable of.

Old 10-16-2002, 02:53 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies.

Fourlix- you are right that DS760 is mean. Maniac650 has a hotter verision than that. I am nipping on his heels with my 686 but i feel it is maxed out. I have stessed her about as far as i can. Any more and she will only be able to make 660 foot passes. That said i feel most 686 are making around 50 honest hp with the 760 a little more. I think MOST hp numbers are WAY OVERINflated. But the bright side is if you have 50 or more, you are smoking.

Old 10-16-2002, 09:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can build the new powervalve motor 416cc from HPD, put it on an alky diet, and it should produce around the 100hp mark. If you use the 18% gain in power on the regular race mod stuff, almost 90hp is available on alcohol. 14min, dont forget, my 99sport race mod on gas went 5.2's on turf tamer rear tires. Machine and driver weighing in at 625lbs (i weigh 195). It is going alcoholic this winter. Weight is the big killer on these bikes, not to mention you have to have a good knowledge of clutching. If you change very little on anything you need to change clutching to match. When at little sahara in OK, i was outrunning my buddies on their 500 Suzuki and 302cc Honda 250r up the big dunes from a standstill. I would go with the 400. 14min, I would even be interested in doing a race port job on one for maybe some entry fee swaps. What ya think? Bubba

Quick Reply: 75 HP from a scrambler 500