Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

water logged trail boss what to do

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water logged trail boss what to do

my son rolled his trail boss over on its side in deep water and could not get it back on its wheels now it wont start i cleaned out the air box it was full of water. im sure i have to change the oil now. my question is what else do i need to do before i try to start it again. any input please help.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2002, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer

Change the oil and tranny fluid, and always make sure to remove the spark plug and crank the engine over to blow any water out of the cylinder. I have also heard of standing the quad straight up on it's back wheels to drain water out of the exhaust. I've never done any of this, but these are things that other people have done. I hope this helps!!!

Old 10-27-2002, 07:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, do what mossman said. Get a couple of people and pick it up onto the back wheels. That will drain the exhaust. Pull the plug and crank it by the hand rope (saves the battery). If it drowned out good, I would drain the motor oil and refill it before starting it. Then get it running, change the oil again and the others as well. Dont forget to regrease everything too. Keep a close eye on all.Bubba

Old 10-27-2002, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

Drain the carb,airbox and belt houseing.
Pull the plug, pull the recoil a few times.
Check the oil ,if it looks white or like a milkshake change it.Keep changing until it's clean.
Use regular 10-30 or something like that because sometimes you have to do it 5 or 6 times.
Check the tranny fluid(do the same if it needs it).
At the bottem of the recoil theres a plug to drain it(it's a pain in the a$$ to get to)
If your useing the stock paper air filter ,change it.Better yet get a K&N filter with outerwears.
Have fun

Old 10-27-2002, 08:49 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

After doing what has been mentioned if it wont start or run right it may need the carb taken apart and the water blown out of the jets.

Old 10-27-2002, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

500duse you mentioned 10-30 oil would that be atv oil or just regular motor oil you put in cars. also could i take my winch and throw it over a tree branch and hook it up to the trailboss and crank it up to a stand to drain it out or would that not be a good thing.

Old 10-28-2002, 07:33 AM
Pro Rider

Any car motor oil will do.(cheaper is better)
Remember this is only if the oil is white.
Your just filling it ,start it for half a minute,and drain it .
And dont forget the oil filter .Pull it ,clean it and put it back on.
once the oil is clean change the filter.
I dont know how big your son is but 2 of you can probably just lift it and stand it on end.
Rarely is there much water in the pipe.

Old 10-30-2002, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

well i changed the oil pumped all the water out put a new sparkplug in put some dry gas in and it still wont start. I even pulled the cord a few times nothing. any ideas guys.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-30-2002, 08:39 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Next you need to take the carb off and take the bowl off and from there you will see the main jet and pilot jet you need to take these out and I would bet there is a drop of water in on of them(the main jet most likely)spray it out with carb cleaner put it together and it should start.Be careful not to bend the tab on the float and other than that it s not that hard.

Old 11-03-2002, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

well i did the carb put carb cleaner in it and it still wont run any other sugestions on what to do?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: water logged trail boss what to do