Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

PEP rear shock ? for modquad or anyone else

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PEP rear shock ? for modquad or anyone else

hey modquad, or other viewers,

I read in a previous post that you were considering getting your rear shock revalved by PEP. I was just wondering how that worked out for you...likes/dislikes? Cost? How do I contact them? I'm thinking about doing this to my rear shock and putting works up front on my scrammy as a winter project. Does anyone else have this setup and like it? Any input is great, thanks.

----------
02 Scrambler 400 X 4x4
K&N filter
speed and suspension to come soon!

Old 10-30-2002, 02:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I've been running the custom HPD units this year. The rear is like a magic carpet ride, no matter how fast you go. The fronts on the other hand have been a battle. They lower your center of gravity and all, but they are pretty harsh for the riding I do. I've had them revalve the fronts, but things really didn't get any better. I think Mike Chero and others have had good luck with PEP and Works units. The Fox are better than stock, but the other two are even better yet. HPD switched away from external resevoirs on the "long travel" fronts, I've been arguing trying to get them to install them. Maybe Kevin or someone else could post a closeup of them (as to how the resevoir is installed). Also check out the Hot Seat dual rate springs.

enough rambling.

Ken

Old 10-30-2002, 08:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for some input, I run the fox struts front and back, and I run the OEM dual rate springs. The service manual lists them as an option, and I got them from Polaris for about $70 a whole set. It lowered the bike about an inch. It rides a little harder than Dana's Scrambler, but I like it still. Bubba

Old 10-30-2002, 09:07 AM
Range Rover

I can't say much about PEP. However, I do have Works on the front of mine. They are actually for the newer style with the inch longer travel. This meant that I had to move my upper strut mount so that my caster was right. The inch longer travel actually raised my front end until I raised the mount to lower the bike down some more. Once I got everything lined up right, they work GREAT. I don't think I've ever really bottomed them out. Wether it was on the track or trail. I rode it this weekend hard enough to destoy two of my aluminum wheels(damn rocks) and Works sucked up most of the impacts. The worst one folded up my front wheel so bad I can't even fix it. The only reason I knew I bent it was that I heard the air blow out of my wheel. It didn't even jar the handlebars. That's how well the Works have been working for me.

Old 10-30-2002, 12:55 PM
jim
Pro Rider

Peps number is 909-590-4111 ask for Wayne & costs about$250 for revalve/rebuild. You have to fill out a very detailed sheet & they make it custom for just you & a new spring may be required as in my case since I ride allot of MX tracks & very aggressive riding. I also use the works front struts adjusted up to 50PSI (30PSI is std) w/ the Polaris heavy duty springs for all the jumping I do. I cant even begin to tell you how much of an improvement it is. Look into the past archives for my past comments about this subject.
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler

http://photos.yahoo.com/jim400scram