Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

You must read this if you go down steep hills a.k.a. goat path

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2000, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well fellows I was searching around and found this bit of information from someone that post as Gardner and I called my dealer first of all this is the original post:

>I previously had a honda 300 4x4 and bought a '99 sportsman. It seemed like I sat higher but after about 600mi. I am used to the new machine. I don't really have any trouble up or down steep hills. Really like the EBS and have tried tricks such as blipping the throttle and using 4 wheel drive and pushing the override button to keep the EBS from sliding the rear wheels going down. Overall I am very pleased with the sportsman.

First of all can anybody explain exactly what he meant by pushing the override button to keep the EBS from sliding the rear wheels going down???

So I called my dealer he said he has one customer who told him right before he goes down a steep hill he spins the wheels in reverse and then I think pushes the override button and then starts down hill...has anybody heard of this or can any of you Polaris Gurus explain this...I have gotten use to blipping the throttle while pumping the break and have come down some goat paths, hope this turns out to be an interesting topic...gone riding catch you all tonight

Old 04-01-2000, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

If your going forward the override button will not do you any good. The only time the override button is active is when the reverse switch sends power to the button.

Old 04-01-2000, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

I have had a John Deere AMT 600 for years now that I bought to work and hunt with. It is comparible to the Sportsman 6x6 and is also belt driven. It is much heavier and more of a work horse.

I have used the AMT 600 many days to haul out a half a full-sized pickup load of wood from the Appalachian Mountains. The thing will go up hills it can't come back down. It completely freewheels on these kind of steep grades when empty.

I don't know if this guy is doing the same thing I do or not but he may be. If I'm downhilling loaded or coming down a very steep ridge, I stop right at the point where I can roll over and go down, I shift into reverse, start down, use the break to control until I get on the gas. I use the reverse to hold back until it gets close to a traction break, then I make a smooth switch over to the breaks. I use this smooth alternating pattern to the bottom. Then, I thank god for a good belt and breaks.

I've been doing this for 12 years now and there have been no adverse effects that I can see. I've never even had to replace the belt yet, although I know it is worn a little now because of the engagement point. But worse could happen with 12 years of normal riding.

I don't know if this can be done on a Polaris or not because the AMT 600 has a different auto setup.

The free-wheeling experience is the only thing that has kept me from buying a Polaris. What is everybody's opinion on EBS systems and how do they work on 2 and 4 stroke? Also, does EBS prevent other cluch mods?