Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris ATV Maintenance & Mechanical Tips !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 02:00 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris ATV Maintenance & Mechanical Tips !!!

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering is there a place on the internet or a book I can buy that will <U>make me a more mechanically inclined person.</U> I know a lot now but want to know enough about the ATV that I can feel comfortable on the entire machine. Please send me as many suggestions as possible so that I can be overwhelmed with information....thus I learn more.

I know the basics but would like to hear from everyone else on how they learned about the upkeep of the machines, etc. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-07-2002, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

A service manual is a good start. Then there are video's flying about that tell
more about clutch tuning! I think it was EPI.

Old 11-08-2002, 12:36 PM
Range Rover

TalonHawk,

Thanks for the info.....Is there any other place I should go to be able to read up on learning more about the mechanics of an ATV and if so, what website would you point me to?

Any others that can tell me how they learned the mechanics (inside and out) of the ATV ?

I figure the more I know the less I have to rely on a mechanic and the expense thereof...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2002, 02:32 AM
Trailblazer

Goodyear has a video tape on snowmobile clutch tuning. Much the same.

You can download a parts manual for free from polaris web site.

If'n you don't already know at least basic mechancial skills, do you have the tools you'll need to do this correctly? At least a decent torque wrench?

Old 11-10-2002, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

Also the ATV Connection forums are one of the best places to get information.
So, if you have any problems be sure that you ask here first, someone will know
the answer.

Old 11-11-2002, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider

“Mechanical inclination” is usually something you’re born with. Either you have it or you don’t. From your comment, it sounds like you have it (“I know a lot now but want to know enough about the ATV that I can feel comfortable on the entire machine”).

What you seek is knowledge. Unfortunately you won’t get that from the lame Polaris owner’s manual that came from your machine. The $50 service manual is a must for “inquiring minds” and well worth the bucks. Download the parts manual too, as suggested.

Once you’re “armed” with all this info, the difficulty may be in knowing where to draw the line in doing your own repairs and mods. Before you get into trouble keep in mind that a little knowledge in the wrong hands may be a dangerous thing.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-11-2002, 10:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Meister, first off cool icon. Go with what the others said, get a manual, and never be afraid to ask here too. Everyone started new at one time, and we're all still learning. Sigh, the beauty of the net.

Ken

Old 11-11-2002, 04:09 PM
Range Rover

Thanks everyone for your responses......I will be getting the service manual for sure and thanks Floodrunner. I should be getting the 600 Twin before Christmas sometime. I just have to make sure they get right color in and I am heading South to get it....yeah whoooo !!

I will not ride as much due to the colder weather setting in but wait till the Spring gets here....My wife will have to pull me off that thing...thanks again to all that responded.....if anyone else would like to give me a response feel free to do so....ride on [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-11-2002, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer

Where is the best place to get the service manual. I loaned mine out and I don't think I am getting it back. I just hate to pay the stealership's high prices. I would like to buy it on the net if it's cheaper.
Thanks for the help!

Old 11-11-2002, 04:38 PM
Range Rover

Mudislife,

I would have to say use a seach engine on the net (Google.com) and see what you come up with. You may also want to use Ebay....God knows if you cant find it on there it probably does not exist.

So who did you loan it to and not get it back?....I would have to say that I would be putting up quite a fuss if I loaned my out and then did not get it returned to me....ride on[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Polaris ATV Maintenance & Mechanical Tips !!!