Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Color of Stock '00 400 scrambler Primary Spring??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002 | 11:39 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Color of Stock '00 400 scrambler Primary Spring??

Please tell me its green/Blue. Even better, tell me its obviously that color. Like the Secondary springs is fire engine red its so red....

See, I hate the clutch behaviour in my scambler 400. And it got a stock clutch right? well its used, and its certainly looks plain to me. Now if somebody was to tell me the stock one is in fact green/blue and its obvious, my life would get a lot simplier.

Thanks.

dan

Old 11-13-2002 | 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

I am pretty sure the OE spring is the (Polaris Plain spring), No paint, kind of looks goldish like a penny, copper colored

Old 11-13-2002 | 01:14 AM
|
Trailblazer

Gee I hope not. Life was getting so much easier thinking I had this figured out. I even had an order ready for Aaen and HPD. Now, maybe not.

Any others out there know?

Old 11-13-2002 | 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

The stock spring is a white .

It looks unpainted for the most part , except for a hint of white paint on the first coil or so on one side .

The blue green springs are pretty obvious , they are fully covered with paint , one half blue , the other half green .

I read your other post , I recall talking with you on the phone as well . If you are slipping on the topside , I suggest a stronger secondary spring , or , winding the factory red to a tighter setting , it will lift the top rpm's up some , improve the backshifting , and help get rid of slippage .

I have also seen slippage caused by glazed belts and secondary buttons in poor condition , make sure these items are in good condition first .

What your goal was , was to keep a low low engagement , and still rev out to where the power is on the HPD trail pipe if I remember correctly . This can be done by combining the proper weights and springs . If I wanted to do this I would grind my own set of weights to do just that , I would bolt 3 together and then work them on a belt sander til I got it where I wanted it . It can be time consuming and a little frustrating . To do this you would also benefit from a tach so you could see how you were doing .

I don't think you will find a supplier who will have the combination you are looking for to get the engagement as low as what you are looking for and still get the RPM's up like you want on the top side . It is possible there is a weight and spring combo that would work but no one really sets things up to do what you are looking for , so it would be guess work for someone to sell you weights and springs . The way to get what you want is by custom grinding your own to suit your own personal taste .

Rick

Old 11-13-2002 | 02:36 AM
|
Trailblazer

Well howdy Rick!

Yeah, its been quite a learning curve since we talked. And still a long way to go. Well, perhaps you've closed the issue. I know white was stock in it now, and know you've added it looks plain. As the std white looks plain except for a small area I'm unsure, but expect its the std. white.

I've been given to expect its quite a task modifying curvature of weights, so I was thinking I might grind a bit on some heavy ones in an attempt to effective mass closer to the pins. And then I may say enough of this noise, and leave it alone.

I did tighten up the secondary. I'd swear I lost RPM and top end. It did eliminate the slippage. The buttons had minimal wear, but the local dealer had some so I replace them anyway. The clutch was pretty dusty so I blew it out and cleaned up the faces with brake cleaner. That alone may help. I'll play some more soon enough. Gotta get a decent EGT/Tach. Looke like maybe digitron has a decent setup in the 40 series. Ah well, I've always wanted one for the banshee anyway.

I'll call and say hi.

regards.

dan