Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Winter Riding

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 09:45 AM
Zak
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Riding

I am plannin on runnng my '03 Trailblazer 400 (2 stroke) this winter including some trips to my in-laws' cabin in the U.P. of Michigan. Is there anything I need to do to my quad to make it run well in a colder climate, or will it do just fine as it is set up right now, (completely stock set up from the dealer). I already know airing down the tires and such will help, but I am talking about anything I will have to do to the engine for colder climates. How about getting it started in the cold??

Now, what about the same questions for my wife's '03 Magnum 330 (4 stroke)??

Thanks in advance!!

"Z"

Old 11-20-2002, 10:44 AM
vig
Range Rover
Default Winter Riding

I know on my scrambler 400 you have to adj. the air screw on the carb. Your supposed to richen it in winter and leaner in warmer more humid weather. It tells you in the owners manual. Its not that hard to do.

Old 11-20-2002, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default Winter Riding

Overall you should be fine on a completely stock machine. Polaris ususlly starts them out rich.
Best I can say is check your Plug from time to time and make sure you are not lean. I really think you will be fine with a STOCK machine.
Also don't expect to go through more than 8" of snow. You will be fine on the Snowmobile trails because they are groomed. Our trailblazer SUCKS in the snow. The rear wheels just spin themselves into a whole. ( GET OFF, PICK THE A$$ END UP OUT OF THE HOLES, GO 5 MORE FEET, DO IT AGAIN )
That is why I got 2 400 scrambler 4x4s. The 4x4 is awsome in the snow.

Old 11-20-2002, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default Winter Riding

I wouldn't adjust anything, you will be just fine. I also wouldn't air down the tires, ground clearance in the snow is very important, as you lower the pressure in your tires, you decrease your ground clearance.

Old 11-20-2002, 02:04 PM
Zak
Trailblazer
Default Winter Riding

I was going with the airing down of the tires more for the groomed snowmobile trails. I am hoping that the aired down tires with the added weight of the 400 engine world give me some decent traction in comparison to a 250 TB. I guess I will play around a bit with the pressure and see what works. I wasn't really thinking that it would make it through much more than a foot of unpacked snow anyway, mostly for the groomed trails, or at least a well used snomobile path.

The wife will be carrying the tow strap in the storage box of her Magnum 330 in case I get a bit too crazy! I don't think she will be stuck at all with that machine, it has gone anywhere she pointed it thus far!!

Can't wait to mke my first trip out to Silver Lake on ATV's. I have been there many times in my Jeep, but never on a quad. Maybe we could hook up there sometime!!?? Where are you guys located in SE Mich?? I am just South and West of Lansing on Charlotte.

Thanks for the input about the carb settings!

"Z"

Old 11-20-2002, 02:11 PM
Range Rover
Default Winter Riding

you'll be just fine leaving the settings as is. You'll probably have to set the choke to 1/2 setting and it will FIRE right up....The wife and I ride ALL year long...sometime it takes a few minutes to WARM it up properly so you might have to blip the throttle a little, some 2 strokes dont like too idle to long before loading up (spark plug)

and the 4 stroke, just warm it up for 5 minutes w/ choke on and it'll be just fine...unlike the 2 stroke you can just let it idle ALL DAY LONG.

rule # 1 DO NOT RIDE WITH CHOKE ON !!!!!!!!!

Scott
91' KX80
00' Trailblazer
01' Rancher ES
02' enclosed trailer to haul'em

Old 11-20-2002, 07:14 PM
Range Rover
Default Winter Riding

I just picked up an 03 SP 600 and was wondering about snow riding. Obviously at 740lbs I won't be picking up the end and moving it. Should I still go by the 8inch figure in a previous post or can I just assume that if I have clearance i'll get through the drift. I plan to ride mostly on my parents lake once it gets thick enough and has some snow on it.

Thanks
John

Trending Topics

Old 11-20-2002, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Winter Riding

bone stock,you shouln't get any problem with jetting,look the plug as far
the engine is broked in tough,i've ran my 96 400 in winter alot back in time,this engine like to be cold,but just do the normal warm up before opened it,as a long time sledder i didn't mess with my quad during the snowing days anymore,but they're a blast in the snow as well,you'll have alot of fun,polaris like winter!
enjoy.

Old 11-20-2002, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Winter Riding

galljc
You will have no problems. Point it in the direction you want to to and give it the gas. We have a 86 fourtrax 350 4x4 equiped with a plow. That thing will go anywhere It is a tank, solid axle frt and rr.
Most likely if you get stuck in DEEP snow going forward you can just back out. 4x4 is great.

Zak
I don't think you will need to air down any for the groomed trails keep the tires at recommended PSI. You will have no problems on the groomed trails. Just watch for the ORV TRAIL ENDS HERE signs. Alot of the smomobile trails are SNOWMOBILE ONLY. Not sure about the U.P. I would like to do some riding up there.
We do most of our rideing near MIO MI. on the bullgap and huron trails. We have been going to Silver Lake a few time a year also, Great time. You will love you 400. Oh and X and I are both near Warren Mi. We will have to hook up and go riding sometime.

Old 11-22-2002, 10:08 AM
Zak
Trailblazer
Default Winter Riding

Buba,

I already love the 400, I just had to have a 2 stroker, the sound and smell can't be beat!! Without the sound and smeel it just wouldn't be the same. I just don't feel as fast on a four stroke without the noise!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I will let you know how the U.P. trails are. Don't know how much snow there will be, but even if there is none we will still have a blast. How will I tell if a trail is snow machine only?? The cabin is right off the trail, and there are no signs that I have seen last year while riding sleds.

"Z"

Quick Reply: Winter Riding