Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler Cooling Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 02:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler Cooling Problems

Originally posted by: Farmr123
Check all hoses, especially where they connect to the radiator or engine.
One place to look, that is sometimes hard to find, is the water pump seal weep hole. This is on the underside of the waterpump housing, and is just a little hole that allows coolant to leak out to the ground if the water pump seal starts leaking. Do NOT plug the hole, because if it is leaking, coolant will be forced into the engine crankcase, causing all sorts of nasty things to happen. It is a small hole, and may be hard to spot, possibly requiring skid plate removal to see better. Find the part of the engine where the lower radiator hose goes into, and look more or less at the underside of the engine below where the hose connects (and maybe a little towards the center of the machine). If any coolant looks like it was seeping out there, it is time for a new seal. Should take a qualified mechanic an hour or less to replace.

EDIT: Just so you know, there is an air bleeder screw on the top of the engine, not too far from the spark plug. It is the bolt with a phillips head screw slot built into the head.

Can you help me, I have antifreeze leaking out of that little hole underneath my Sportsman 500 and I replace the seal on the coolant pump cover and it stills leak, is there another seal that needs to be replaced or have I forgotten to do something. Do I need to bleed air from the top of the engine, your info would be a great help thanks

Kyrol

Old 06-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Scrambler Cooling Problems

I just looked at the parts list on the SP700 parts list. I hope it's the same case as the 500. If so I'd venture to bet you cover is cracked or warped somewhere or the gasket behind the engine side plate may be leaking. Put some leak detect in the system and see if you can track it wiht a black light.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

I havea 95 400 scrambler, my overflow is "pissing" coolant out too upon warm up. Didnt really lose much coolat though? rode it for a while like that and it eventually popped off the coolant hose on top of the motor how do i tell if the coolant is circulating or not?

I have just heard of the bleed screw... what is its purpose, does it need to be bled periodically or just when the motor is apart or what?

does the impeller need to be replaced periodically or is it metal?

Old 05-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

A couple friends have '03? 400's and both leaked at the fitting that goes into the recovery bottle.