Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator Gearing info

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator Gearing info

After riding this last weekend in the dunes with 8 paddle haulers, it was obvious that a gearing change was needed IMHO. Pulled the front sprocket off and went to the dealer. They called manufacturers and nobody has anything yet. Well they started comparing the Predator one with others in stock and the Honda XR650L has the same shaft size, sline size and bolt pattern for the keeper, and the same offset on the back. They ordered a 13 tooth one for me, and I should have it before the weekend to try. I will report my findings [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2002, 01:57 AM
Trailblazer

Sweet!! Thanks for the info!! I know what I am buying tomorrow. I am guessing the stock front is a 14 tooth then??

TireFryer

Old 12-03-2002, 02:05 AM
Trailblazer

Yes stock is 14 tooffers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2002, 03:41 AM
Range Rover

Outstanding! I just sent an email to Rocky Mountain ATV to see if they stock it (they only list 14 and 15 tooth ones for the XR650L). If they have one I'll order it tomorrow. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Rob

Old 12-03-2002, 08:23 PM
Range Rover

I ordered one of these today from the local quad store... $15 and it'll be here Thursday. And, from the look of things, it may beat my machine here. *sigh*

BTW, there is apparently only one company that makes a 13-tooth sprocket for the XR650L. Of course I forgot the name of it, though...

Rob

Old 12-04-2002, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer

Been riding mine for two days now and it seems geared too high for my liking in the woods. How much of a change would you notice by going down one tooth on the front? At what point will you need to get a shorter chain? Thanks.

Old 12-04-2002, 03:56 PM
Range Rover

One tooth will totally wake the machine up. I went from a 15 to a 14 tooth front sprocket on my 400EX and it made all the difference. On the dunes I went from using nothing but 1st and 2nd to being able to use 1-4 regularly.

You won't need a shorter chain to use a 13T sprocket. BTW, mine came in today (the sprocket, not the machine). I now have a sprocket and a full set of dune tires and STILL no freakin' machine.

Rob

Old 12-04-2002, 08:28 PM
Range Rover

so did you find out what company makes the sprocket? i just took the screen wire out of my spark arrestor... probably 0 gain in the deal, but w/out a choice of pipes yet, it made me feel better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] i haven't checked about the rear sprocket, has anyone else?

Old 12-04-2002, 08:49 PM
Range Rover

Putting a 13 on the front sure puts the chain down tight on the buffer, I think I will change the rear sprocket, I have always heard it was better to go with a bigger sprocket in back, some how it makes the rear suspension work better??????

Old 12-04-2002, 09:06 PM
Range Rover
Scared to death of girls!

Originally posted by: farmboyxc
so did you find out what company makes the sprocket? i just took the screen wire out of my spark arrestor... probably 0 gain in the deal, but w/out a choice of pipes yet, it made me feel better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] i haven't checked about the rear sprocket, has anyone else?
Try Sidewinder.com. I've had EXCELLENT luck with those guys.

Scott

Quick Reply: Predator Gearing info