Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

RCR stage 1 for Scrambler...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2000 | 08:33 PM
|
Pro Rider

I've been riding my Scrambler400 for a few days now. I have not a lot of miles on it yet but I already want to do some mods. Everyone talks about the RCR Stage kits. There are different stages 1, 2 and 3 I think? What exactly is the difference? Basically what I want is much better acceleration, no loss to top speed and a lot lot lot lot more power to get through mud and get out of deep ruts. It seems that when I am in a rut, stopped, and try to get going again I have to give a lot of gas.The belt even smoked a bit today. It needs to engage faster I think. I miss that low gear feeling of my Xplorer400 and thats what I am looking for! Is this all possible? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Plus I want mods that wont affect my guaranty!

Old 04-07-2000 | 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Speed isn't just an addiction, it's a way of life!!!!!
I've had my 400 SC less than a week and I ordered a Stage 1 kit before I even took delivery..
I spent about 90 minutes on the quad this evening and already I can see that more power is going to be required.
The next mods will probably be a V-Force reed cage set and a K&N air filter.
That should get me close to 50 useable horsepower.

Old 04-07-2000 | 12:52 AM
|
Pro Rider

Hey Capt Nemo! What exactly is in a Stage 1? Is there a big difference in performance over stock? I really want one of these mods but not sure of effect...

Old 04-07-2000 | 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

The Stage Kit is a pipe & silencer, airbox modifications to increase airflow, jets for the carburetor, an air filter ( I haven't found out if it's foam or a pleated type ) and a spring for the primary clutch.
Ritter is quoting an 8 HP increase on the midrange pipe, the other items should be worth another horsepower or two.
The April 2000 issue of ATV Sport had a story where the quad picked up 3 MPH on top and got to 30 MPH over 1/2 second quicker after installing the Stage 1 kit with a mid range pipe.

Old 04-07-2000 | 04:43 AM
Range Rover

The filter in the RCR stage 1 kit is a double foam Uni filter. I just finished installing the Stage 1 kit on my '99 Scrambler 400 about 10 minutes ago. Too bad it's 1:40 in the morning here or I could try it out a little, I know it sure sounds fast. The kit was easy to install and took me about 3 hours to complete. The main parts I was worried would be tricky were the spring change for the clutching and the main jet in the carb but they ended up being easy. I can't wait for morning to come so I can try this thing out!

Old 04-07-2000 | 11:04 AM
|
Pro Rider

LET ME KNOW!!!

Old 04-09-2000 | 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

I installed the stage 1 kit after 1 year of riding. I also installed a v-force reed cage assembly. The difference is almost night and day. It has a much quicker throttle response, very strong throught the mid-range, and a little bit more than stock on the top end. All this without sacrificing any low end torque. I ride trails from steep, slow, rocky hills to fast, flat and smooth fireline trails. The guys I ride with almost can't believe the difference for the minor modifications. From the investigating I've done, the 400 is a real sleeper motor. Polaris tuned the thing down for safety reasons. A few well spent dollars on the right mods and they are screamers.

Also, Rick Ritter is about the most helpful guy around when questions or problems arise.

You won't go wrong with his products.

Later

Old 04-09-2000 | 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

I put the RCR lowend on my Trailblazer.

If you have a Trailblazer you will know what a difference it made. Before It wouldn't wheelie at all. now it has more then enough power to wheelie!

I'm not sure what they do on Scramblers

Old 04-09-2000 | 08:35 PM
|
Pro Rider

This might sound like a lame question but if the kit adds to midrange and a bit to top end doesn't that mean that it has no effect on low end and the torque?...which is needed for heavy mud and getting out of a deep rut from a standstill? I am still sharpening my technical skills when it comes to ATV mechanics and terms.
I have always heard that it is one or the other...if you add to low end and torque you loose top end speed because the motor winds out quicker. And if you add to midrange and top end you loose torque...which is something I find the 400Scrambler lacks... The other day I stopped for a break and my front wheels were in a 10" rut...when I went to get going again I really had to gas it hard because the bikes wheels did not want to start turning.

I need a mix of both... is it possible?

Old 04-09-2000 | 08:36 PM
|
Pro Rider

This might sound like a lame question but if the kit adds to midrange and a bit to top end doesn't that mean that it has no effect on low end and the torque?...which is needed for heavy mud and getting out of a deep rut from a standstill? I am still sharpening my technical skills when it comes to ATV mechanics and terms.
I have always heard that it is one or the other...if you add to low end and torque you loose top end speed because the motor winds out quicker. And if you add to midrange and top end you loose torque...which is something I find the 400Scrambler lacks... The other day I stopped for a break and my front wheels were in a 10" rut...when I went to get going again I really had to gas it hard because the bikes wheels did not want to start turning.

I need a mix of both... is it possible?