Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Magnum 325 or Prarie 360? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 12:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum 325 or Prarie 360? Help!

I think I have narrowed the choices down to these two machines based on the info I have gotten from shops, forums, friends articles and every other source of data ever created. This will be my first machine.
I have not had the chance to "ride" either, other than to putz around on the streets. I'm not going to race, jump off cliffs or scale the alps. I will take it to the lease, find all the mud I can and every summer from here on, bring (instead of rent) it with me on our vactaion to the Mountains. (Red River) I have been holding out for a used one but I can't wait any longer. (plus my wife told me today I could get a NEW one) The features on the machines, full auto and 4x4 are what intrest me the most. It seems user friendly, as far as letting the wife ride. What, if any, cons on either machine as far as maint, or performance could you tell me. Any info would be helpful.

Old 12-26-2002, 10:32 AM
Sue
Trailblazer

I just got a Mag 325 2WD after seveal years away from ATVs and I really like it. The brakes work extremely well and the suspension really soaks up rough terrain. I was on a rutted out logging road at slow speed and was impressed on what bumps I didn't even notice. I choose the Mag for auto tran, longer-travel sus, and hydraulic disc brakes and recommendations of local Polaris dealer. I have always been a Honda guy, but work with several guys that have Polaris and none of them have had any problems with Polaris.

You will read in other threads that the Mag 325 is underpowered and it really depends on what you are using it for. If you want an ATV to run 60 MPH on the road, dunes, etc.. then get an ATV that will do that. The Mag 325 is a "utility" ATV and works extremely well at slower speeds which is what I needed.

I can't provide any info on the Prairie because I only looked at it on the net and compared specs to Mag 325 and the Mag 325 looked better in most categories.

Old 12-26-2002, 11:19 AM
Trailblazer

I had a reply all worked out in my head but the last reply says it ALL. Mine is an '01 325 4x4. Auto makes it gas and go. Wife loves it too.

Get one.

Brad
73 de KD5HRM

Old 12-26-2002, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

A co-worker of mine was in the same situation trying to decide between the two. After test riding both he went with the prarie 360. His reasoning was that the 325 wouldn't even spin the rear tires in 2wd, he said it felt weak. The 360 on the other hand will not only spin the tires, he can pull the front wheels on it (not very high from what I saw, but they did come up).
If the coice was between the 400 sportsman and the 360, I'd definately go with the 400.

One hang up I have with the 360 is they still don't make a speedometer for it.
Good luck deciding and try to drive both more than the parking lot before deciding-maybe ride a friends 4whlr or at another dealership. good luck....

Old 12-26-2002, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2002 Magnum 325 4x4 and love it. it's no speed demon but at my age I don't need speed. But it's a good work horse and is great for trail riding. The 2003's have a 330 motor in them so they maybe even better.

Old 12-26-2002, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]If you are buying new it will be a magnum 330.These are really nice well built atv's.If you want to pull wheelies then you may want to go with the predator.But being serious the magnum is a really great atv.Ijust do not under stand all of these people"reply's.wheelies,75 miles per hour and jump twelve feet.you asked if it was a good ride.The answer is yes and they almost industructible.Another plus has another heard of how bad the AMERICAN ECONOMY IS?EVERY CITY AND STATE ARE OPERATING AT A DEFICIT.DO YOU KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS LOST A GOOD JOB LATELY?GO TO YOUR FRIENDLY WALL MART AND TRY TO FIND SOMETHING THAT IS MADE IN THE GOOD OLE U.S.A.BETTER WAKE UP AMERICA!!!BUT I THINK IT MAY BE TO LATE...WELL HECK I GUESS WE ALL CAN WORK AT MCDONALDS..SURE IS SAD..MAYBE WE CAN SEND OUR CHILDREN TO JAPAN OR CHINA TO GET A JOB...PROUD TO BE AMERICAN..PROUDER TO BUY AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2002, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Mountaineerrider, I totally with the buying USA aspect of your argument. that's why I said I would go for the sportsman 400. For this same reason I am very seriously considering the sportsman600/700 for my next ride. (I've got to get over the no back up starter issue first)
I know it's not the same as a pure american company, but the kawasaki's are made in Nebraska of "mainly" US derived parts. At least that is what they e-mailed me last week when I asked how much of their atv's are made in the USA.

Old 12-27-2002, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2002 magnum 325 2x4 and i am really content with it for now. I have ridden this thing so hard its hard to believe what its been through, and it still works. I use it for everything and its my first quad. I have took it through deep mud and only get stuck every once in a while and i have also took it through sand which it does ok in. It is very good at climbing hill, and has very good low end power for working. I have pulled many trailers full of dirt with it exceding the max capacity and it still pulls it fine. I have also raced praries and have beat a couple of them, the only thing i have on mine is a clutch spring and an air filter. It is fully capable of peeling out, or maybe mine is because i am light but it does. I almost always ramp it, and believe it or not i have aired out pretty good on it, although i wouldnt recomend it because its heavy, and usually every month i go to our local track that we have here and i can even keep up with my friends 250ex, exept this quad lands hard. There have been a few problems to it just bacause all i do is ramp it, so i dont recomend doing this, but it just needs to last 5 more months until i get my new RAPTOR!!!!
But all in all i really like this four wheeler considering everything you can do with it and its way cheaper than a sportsman 700, so i think you would be making a very good choice in buying this atv because i know i like it.