Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Pumping Tires full of Foam.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pumping Tires full of Foam.

How about just buying 6ply tires and putting them on? You will never have a flat then, and will be much happier with the performance of your bike in snow and mud. They will last longer than stockers too.

Old 12-31-2002, 03:59 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

How about just buying 6ply tires and putting them on? You will never have a flat then, and will be much happier with the performance of your bike in snow and mud. They will last longer than stockers too.
I plan to do this soon!

Which tires are 6-ply? For a Raptor, primarily trails.

Thanks
Mark

Old 12-31-2002, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

You can read the ply rating right on the side of the tire, it is required by law to be there somewhere.

Utility machine tires with 6 ply ratings I can think of offhand would be 589s, as well as 489xts. There are many others, these are just the 2 I was choosing between for my Xplorer.

I also would stay away from foam, due to the weight. My cousin runs a payloader with foam filled tires. They will NOT go flat, even if you tear loose a chunk of tire, or run a 2" diameter 6" long bolt into it. However, he says by their best guess, it adds about 500# to each tire, and makes things a little bouncy. Not a big deal on a payloader, but on anything for serious off-roading, you want the least amount of unsprung weight you can.

Farmr

Old 12-31-2002, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Our forklifts run foam filled tires and their is no way to get a flat (as Farmr123 mentioned) Apart from the weight issue there is also a question of balancing. Foam filled is for slow speeds, When you try to balance them you would probably need 5lb weights.

Old 12-31-2002, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

On my cousin's payloader, they filled them with foam, off the machine, and laid them flat on one side. Otherwise your tires can have a permanent 'flat spot' in them when the foam sets, and if there is any little air void, they will be tremendously out of balance.

Old 12-31-2002, 11:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the feedback. 6 PLys with Slime is probably what I will go with. As much problem as I have in the past with Drive Train or CV joints, Foam definitely does not sound like the ticket. 6 Plys won't stop Flats, but they will help. I have pulled mesquite thorns out of my tires as big around as my thumb, there ain't much that will stop those.Now though I will have 6 Brand New 4 Ply Tires to get rid of, because the tire places won't give you squat for a trade-in. Actually I will probably have 4 Brand New Tires as I will keep a couple for spares.

Old 01-01-2003, 01:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone who does use fix-a-flat...make sure its the newer version that is non-flamable and dont use the imitation fix-a-flat stuff. Makes a heck of a fireball when a mechanic smoking a cig breaks the bead. (most excersize that mechanic has had in years though...the pond was a long hot run away from the shop)

Old 01-01-2003, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

Goodyear makes some 'run flat' tires. They cost more than regular tires, but are designed to be able to go like 50 miles with no air in them at all. They are a pain to get mounted, but once mounted and the beads set, they are ridable with no air. The dealership had an old machine with one mounted and a hole maybe 2" drilled into the sidewall, and let some of us drive it around, to see how it handled. It definately wasn't as good as a tire with air, but I would feel that it would get a person home flat if need be as long as you quad wasn't loaded down with a moose or anything.

Old 01-01-2003, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Bing, 6ply on a raptor for trail riding, I think you can get Bearclaws in those sizes and I would look into Mudlites as well. Not to sure on sizing though. Both are 6ply and an excellent all around tire.

Old 01-01-2003, 09:12 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a Raptor Bandits would be the way to go.They are six ply .

Quick Reply: Pumping Tires full of Foam.