Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dirtwheels getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirtwheels getting worse

I have noticed in the letters that are sent in, most of them are sent in by teenagers. It appears to appeal to the younger crowd. I started reading my husband's Dirt Wheels and then realized there was no consistancy so now I just read the lame letters people send in. It is good for a laugh.

Old 12-31-2002, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirtwheels getting worse

I can remember shortly after I bought my Xplorer in the fall of 1999, seeing a DW issue on the newsstand touting a 400cc utility shootout or something of the sort. I saw that the Xplorer was one of the machines included, as was the Xpedition 425.
Well, to make a long story short, the Xplorer was the fastest accelerating, fastest top speed, quickest through their test trail, pulled their sled the farthest, and was 2nd or 3rd for heavy load hauling, as well as being tied with the Xpedition for having the smoothest ride/most comfort, and if I remember right the 2 Polaris machines tested were 1 & 2 through the mud pit & hill climb. Guess where they ranked: last & next to last!
First they discredited the Xplorer because they thought that a true utility machine should be 4 stroke, shaft drive, and manual shift. They said they weren't sold on the belt drive yet, for reliability for heavy work. Fair enough, even if I might not agree, at least they had some reasoning behind their choice. They then ranked the Prarie above the Xpedition (even though it didn't beat it in any category that I can remember) because of the fun and convenience of the auto. Well, that blew me out of the water, do they trust the auto or not?
The winner overall?? The second slowest, and roughest riding machine they tested, and the only one to get hung up completely in the mud bog (but had the prettiest ads).