Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What kinda Oil do you use in your Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 12:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kinda Oil do you use in your Polaris

OK ... Gotta question, I'll need to do the "Break-in" oil change in about 8 hours (engine time). I plan on using Polaris Oil, but wondered if I could use another? The Polaris Dealer is about 45 minutes away (one way) and I've got most all the other dealers within 20 minutes..... Should I compromise? Also, my son has a SP90 … is there another 2-Stroke oil comparable to the Polaris Gold? HELP!

Chris

Old 12-29-2002, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

you can use any brand of oil, just make sure it is the proper viscosity and that it is ATV oil, NOT automobile oil. the car oil is formulated just for the engine, whereas the atv oil is synthetic, and is used to lube the tranny and clutch.

Old 12-29-2002, 07:23 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Mobil 1 or Amsoil are good alternatives. The oil must be synthetic. Wix makes an oil filter for the Sportsman - part #1358 or NAPA (made by Wix) - part # 51358.

I use the Polaris oil with Wix filters.

Old 12-29-2002, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

I plan on using Polaris oil in the engine and transmission. Mobil 1 ATF in the front hubs, and a good quality 80/90 in the front end. The cost of stock oil is not much different than other oils and for a change once or twice a year cost is not too bad. If I am right in reading you have a Sportsman with belt drive so the engine oil should not be in with the clutch and transmission

Old 12-29-2002, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

PS I used to own Harleys and always sought cheaper and closer lubes and parts. I think if I can find equal quality lubes I will proubably switch ( I don't think Polaris has a lube plant so thier oils are some other brands)

Old 12-29-2002, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

I pre-mix and use Amsoil at 50 to 1 with no problems at all. My brother just
changed to the same thing and can't believe the difference. It cost but its good!

Old 12-29-2002, 08:36 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would run Mobil! 0w40 if I could find it but till then I just hunt on ebay and find oil change kits for less than what the dealers want for just the oil.Now what grips me is the tranny oil I cant find anything equal to polaris and with 2 quads it gets expensive changing that a couple time a year.

Old 12-29-2002, 10:57 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys ... I think I'm still confused ... I might just make the LONG drive a few times a year and stock up! Keep my Polaris happy ..... -or- I've alway had good luck with the Mobil 1 .... of 'course my grandfather won't use anything but Amsoil.... Geeeezzzzss .... Can I mail order it?

Chris

Old 12-30-2002, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

As for 2 Strokes. They are basically 2 types of 2 stoke oils, Caster and Synthetic.
Here are some of the facts I've learned over they years about these two oils.

Caster oils are made up of caster bean oil. Oil from beans give it a very unique smell, caster Oil has to be mixed at lower ratios like 32:1 where synthetic can be mixed up to 100:1 that makes Caster oil smoke more and run dirty. But it will offer maximun protection at high RPM, For these oils to run proper the engine should be ran at higher RPM to keep things clean from oil buildup. If engine is not jetted proper the caster oil will take over and offer lots of protection if too lean. They protect better at higher temperatures that's pretty much what they do.

Synthetic, can be mixed at 32:1 up to 100:1 depending on the brand. Synthetic oils burn very clean they are like all one and not mixed up like in non man made products so exerything burns up instead of getting left behing to leave carbon buildup. They do not offer as much protection as Caster oils, when jetting with these oils you have to watch it and not get too lean they won't protect because everything burns up. Because of Synthetic oils burning soo much cleaner their isn't much effert needed to clean out the motor to get into the power band after crusing around at low RPM.

Hey if you go caster I'd get Klotz they have some of the best products in caster oils. If you go Synthetic, Ams oil is #1 in Synthitic, Talonhawk is correct. I am not a fan of Mobil at all Studies have shown their synthetic products aren't even synthetic.

Old 12-30-2002, 10:17 AM
Trailblazer

Great info mojave300ex ... thanks ... I think as long as I'm in the warranty period I'll stick with the Polaris Gold [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] ... but then I'll goto Ams .... I've NOT heard anything bad about them ....
Thanks all....

Quick Reply: What kinda Oil do you use in your Polaris