Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

etc throttle housing on the predator

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default etc throttle housing on the predator

here is my problem has anyone had trouble starting there predator when its cold correct me if im wrong in my opinion when you start a cold machine exspecially when it is brand new i should be able to pull full choke crank it over without touching the throttle at all and it should start immediatly and idle on its own then adjust choke accordingly wait to let the machine warm up and then ride. However in my case it seems i pull full choke and that i have to have my thumb right near the throttle keep in mind not giving it any throttle just my thumb resting on the throttle the second i take my thumb away from the throttle it dies now i was told that inside the throttle housing there are two wires which works for the override if the throttle was to get stuck in anyway it shuts the machine off a saftey device so my ? is has anyone else expierenced this and would anyone know how to correct this problem is there an a adjustment thank you any help would be nice................... happy holidays

Old 01-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

I was having some trouble with mine also but fixed it by turning the idle up. It was idling acouple hundred rpm's to low.

Old 01-01-2003, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

hey pleasure4qt do you know what the predators rpms should be at when the machine is at full operating temp in the idle position....

Old 01-01-2003, 08:26 PM
Range Rover

mines cold blooded to pull choke all the way out still have to give it a little gas and rev it or it dies after a few minuets it warms up and is fine

Old 01-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't installed my tiny tach yet but will tomorrow and let you know for sure. It's usally below +5C/40F here right now so I'm running a 155 main jet.

Before I turned the idle up it was stalling even when it was warmed up. When I was riding with the rev's down and the clutch pulled in.

My modified ex with no choke, idles at 1350rpm but when it's warming up I usally turn the idle up to almost 1800rpm just so it won't stall, and so it will actually start farily easy.

Old 01-01-2003, 09:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Mine is a cold blooded beast too, just bump the idle like Pleasure said, or hang around for the first minute of warmup and enjoy the rumblings of power......almost a Tim Allen Home Improvement moment there.

Ken

Old 01-01-2003, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

so it sounds like you guys are having the same problem then what im trying to get at is u should be able to pull full choke or whatever you want your choke at dependeing on the temp and start it and leave it alone to warm up on its own without having to touch the throttle at all my service manual is on its way hopefully theres an explanation to this problem and what the idle rpms are to be at when it is at full temp also hopefully there is an adjustment somewhere to correct it you should not have to touch your throttle at all when starting or warming up xspecially on a new machine....

Old 01-01-2003, 10:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I don't know if I'd call it a problem, more like a characteristic (almost sounds like a Bill Clinton spin doctor). Quite often when performance in enhanced, cold running qualities suffer. As you break it in, the stubborness might taper off. I've had race cars that were this way in the heat of summer. Take the time to warm 'em up good, then pull the trigger. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ken