Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris quality

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris quality

I had a 1999 Scrambler 400, 2 stroke, and it blew 2 pistons. The second time it scored the cylinder very badly and had to get it bored out. The machine was completely stock and I ride and take carre of my belongings extremely well. Several others in my area had the same problems with the same model machine. But like I said, it's a 2 stroke engine. I don't particularly care for Polaris quality unless they have improved since 1999. My friend had some minor bumps and bangs on a 1999 Explorer 400(same eng. as scrambler) that caused more damage than I would have expected. Definitely would not have happened on a Honda! But Hoda doesn't compare to Polaris' ease of use and comfort in riding. I myself am purchasing the 600 Twin as soon as Polaris starts their next sales promotion. According to Polaris, the 600 does not come in Camo as you found out. My advise is to go with it. I don't think you or I will be dissapointed but I would advise getting the A-arm/ CV boot guards as I am going to get on mine and front and rear bumpers as well, especially if riding in woods. As far as the belt, as long as you remove the cover and gasket and silicone the crap out of it instead you should nver have a problem. Polaris, as you probably know, has a new spliceless belt. And as far as the reply on the price difference with the 500, my dealer's price is 6600 for the 600 and 6250 for the 500. $350 for front and rear rack extensions, better wheels and the drum shift trans. ( shuttle shift with park on the 600 vs. the old backwards "4" pattern without park on the 500) I think is very well worth it. Comparing those 2 with same parts( rack ext.'s and wheels) actually makes the 600 cheaper than the 500.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris quality

i have a 02 sp 700, it was made in like may of 02, recently on the way back from a trip my coolant went bone dry, i havent got time too look at it, it deinatly is leaking, i dont want to take it in even though i still have warrenty cause my local dealer is horrble, so if someone can give me help on what leaks(like the resivor or tubing....) it would be great, (someone earlire said earlier 700 had coolant leak prob.)
i could figure it out but a start would be help, if it is a cheap easy fix i would rether do it myself than taking it in..
thanks

Old 03-04-2003, 01:04 AM
Range Rover
Default Polaris quality

All I can say is that Polaris builds good stuff, but BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!

Old 03-04-2003, 07:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris quality

There have been plenty of posts regarding the leak on the 700. The problem is the water pump cover. It has been addressed by Polaris. Call your dealer. If nothing else, maybe he will send you the parts to do it yourself. You can also search this forum for more info.

Scott

Old 03-04-2003, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris quality

I bought a new 99 500cc Sportsman and a new 2002 400cc Xplorer.BOTH ATVs were Junk and I'll not be buying Pullaris again for a VERY longtime,if ever?

I turned to the Honda Rincon and its been factory free of defects in 504 miles.

Old 03-05-2003, 07:16 PM
Range Rover
Default Polaris quality

MUDDY4LIFE!
How do you like the Rincon? I hear that the ebs is non-existant in the auto mode but is more than adequate in the esp mode when using first gear? I saw one at a dealer for $6999.00 and the first oil change free. Is that a good price?

Old 03-06-2003, 04:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris quality

Engine braking does work in the auto mode,but not until 8mph.It is much more effective in the ESP 4x4 first gear range.I like the Rincon a WHOLE lot.Its a wonderful feeling knowing that I dont have to worry about break downs with this quad.This could NOT be said about my two Polaris.

I work part time in sales for Honda,the Rincon lists for 7599.00 and dealer invoice is 6557.00.Do NOT be BS into paying additional freight,shipping,set,and assemble charges because Honda includes this in their DI charges.I would say that 6999.00 is a fair price.

Bill

Old 03-06-2003, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris quality

Muddy, having owned both a Sportsman, and now a Rincon, which would you say rides smoother, and which seems more stable in wierd off-camber situations??

Farmr

Old 03-06-2003, 04:40 PM
Range Rover
Default Polaris quality

MUDDY!
Thanks for the info!

Old 03-06-2003, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default Polaris quality

All we have ever owed are Polaris products and I don't think you can go wrong with the quality of their products - We've had trailblazers, scramblers, a trailboss and most of the people that ride around our area have Polaris and wouldn't own anything else. Never have had any of them in the shop and I think we give them a pretty good workout when we ride in the timber. Actually it's been nice having machines that run while the couple we ride with (a Kaw and a Honda) both have the numbers programmed in their phones for dealers in the area we are riding at for parts!

Quick Reply: Polaris quality