Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clamp for Gorilla Axle CV Boot

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clamp for Gorilla Axle CV Boot

I am replacing both boots on my Scrambler with Gorilla CV boots, one for the second time. Both have small tears. The first time I replaced a stock boot with a Gorilla, the large clamp cut the boot. I replaced that boot today and it looks like the same thing is going to happen again. They ues the crimp type clamps, and I have the tool used to squeeze it. It works great until you see the minimal clearance between the strut and CV boot. I have to hammer the crimped part nearly flat so it will clear. This simply does not work and I wouldn't be suprised if this new boot got the same cut as the old one. I don't think Gorilla Axle has ever put these on a Scrambler. Am I doing something wrong? I am not putting on the other boot until I find a fix for this problem.

Old 01-04-2003, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

I use the good nylon zip ties on my Sportsmans. Make sure you get them as tight as you can. I've never had any problems with them. Learned that trick from someone else on these forums. He also swore by them.

Scott

Old 01-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

I have run into the same problem with my Xplorer. I got 2 boot kits from Gorilla. One had a 'low profile' type clamp that fit with just enough clearance, and the other came with what I assume was the same clamp you got: no matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to clear the strut housing. Instead of hammering it down, and risking cutting the boot, I used the clamp that was on the old boot. If you were careful in removing it, it is fine for another use. The gorilla boots are a little bit thicker than the stockers, so they really are a bugger to get clamped on, but after about 1000 miles on mine, they don't seem to be digging into or cutting the boot. Small arc-joint pliers are a help in getting the stock clamp re-tightened. You tighten it some (it will hold by just the first notch) re-adjust the pliers, and should get it the rest of the way eventually. All I can say is it worked OK for me.

Old 01-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

I checked it today and there was a lot of grease on the boot. I wipped it off and saw there was no longer a clamp there. I guess it wasn't quite flat enough and got ripped off. Luckily the boot still stayed on even with nothing holding it. I'm calling Gorilla Axle on Monday. I don't think they are aware of this problem. I hope my boot did not get cut trying to use that clamp. They use a new rubber boot now. I might try to use the stock clamp on the right side to try to install the other Gorilla boot.