Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HDP vs. HSP

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HDP vs. HSP

Just looking for some final thoughts/comment.

I've repeatedly heard that HDP will give me top notch performance gains but that HSP fit & finish is better than HDP.

Has anyone used both products and can you offer me any feedback?

Reliability and fit & finish probably mean more to me than "highest achievable power gain". That is if the power gains are comparable.

Just trying to find an acceptable balance between performance and reliability.

Thanks.

Old 01-06-2003, 12:59 PM
CED
Pro Rider
Default HDP vs. HSP

For reliability it's gonna be hard to beat HPD or Ritter Cycle.

Old 01-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default HDP vs. HSP

Go with hpd or ritter.

Old 01-06-2003, 05:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HDP vs. HSP

It seems to me that Hotseat is in the same boat as Aaen performance. They are more contributing to the sled industry and Hotseat also with the watercraft as well. I have not encountered any fit problems from HPD, and reliability with any manufacturer should be a priority. Their products work great. I like HPD, just not ever been 100% satisfied with the customer relations. Darrell seems a little on the "gruff" side when talking to him. Rick at Ritter Cycle always seems pleasant and willing to do anything to help, and that says alot in my book. He can also sell any HPD products. Bubba

Old 01-06-2003, 05:18 PM
Range Rover
Default HDP vs. HSP

how do i get ahold of rick ritter or hpd? what's hpd stand for anyway? thanks.

Old 01-06-2003, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default HDP vs. HSP

HPD stands for High Performance Design they have a web site www.hpd-inc.com phone #763-389-3336.
Ritter cycle racing www.rittercycle.com phone# 618-644-3212. Good luck

Old 01-06-2003, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default HDP vs. HSP

I bought the HPD trial pipe from Rick Ritter and couldn't have been more pleased with the pipe (fit& finish) and the performance. Rick is extremely helpful. I would highly recommend Ritter Cycle to anyone looking to upgrade the performance of their quad. Good luck with your search.

Old 01-06-2003, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default HDP vs. HSP

I was just looking at the Aaen site the other day for the first time in a while, and I got really hyper looking at the mods for the Scrambler 500. I didn't know that they offered so many mods for the 4-strokes. I really want a sportier and faster quad and have been wanting to sell the Scram, but everytime I look at those mods, my imagination runs wild...I'm sure you guys know how it is. Anyone know if Aaen's 500H.O. mods are anygood?

Old 01-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default HDP vs. HSP

I'd Look to Rick Ritter from RCR, HDP, or HSP for you 4 stroker Scambler needs. There's a lot you can do with the 4 strokes now.

http://rittercycle.com/

http://hpd-inc.com/

http://hotseatperformance.com/

Old 01-08-2003, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default HDP vs. HSP

I have been playing around with the 3 companies products. I have a Trail pipe from HPD, AAEN top end pipe, and HSP gen 2 pipe.

I just purchased the HPD pipe due to all the hype people make over it.
My first impresion with fit and finish is average, The HPD and AAEN units looks more ''homemade'' with the many welds. I also do not like the front support for the HPD pipe. HSP and AAEN pipes both have a nice support bracket at the front of the pipe, HPD uses a spring. Also I had a Little bit of trouble getting the HPD pipe to line up on the HPD flange and slide all the way up. I had to RE-remove the flange, Install the pipe to flange, then tighten the flange to the engine.
Overall BEST fit and finish of the product, I would have to say would go to HotSeat. Plus You get a little adjustability with the HotSeat pipe for Low, Mid, or High end.

I pulled my Hot Seat pipe of my 2000 400 4x4 and put on the HPD unit. My initial feeling are there is not much differents, the best I can tell, I gained a little low end but I think it may have lost some on top end power. The weather was cold and there was snow on the ground so it was realy hard to tell.

I then pulled my AAEN pipe of my 99 400 4x4 and Installed the HotSeat Gen 2 pipe. My initial feeling were again, not a huge difference, The bottom end seemed about the same, but I belive to top end was a little better.

As I said It was kind of tuff to evaluate anything this time of year in Michigan, Hopefully I will be able to tell more come spring time. My feeling are for a trail pipe any of the 4 companies((RCR, HPD, HSP, AAEN)) will make a great product and are very equal overall. If you want more, you would probably be better off going with the HPD race pipe, not the trail pipe. I believe that is the pipe everyone really likes and performs over the competition. Keep in mind that you must have everything that goes along with the race mod for the Race pipe to work up to its capability.