Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ALKY OR RACE GAS

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALKY OR RACE GAS

Anyone else out there run an alcohol sport that has an opinion on running that or race gas on an hpd race mod. Bubba is high on it and I'm thinking of looking into it. What does anyone else who runs it think?

Old 01-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default ALKY OR RACE GAS

I'm running alky in my Sport with full HPD mods and love the power. The only minor drawback is purging with gas after a days ride, but that is no big deal at all. It really makes them go.

Jay

Old 01-09-2003, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default ALKY OR RACE GAS

Turbo Blue!

Old 01-09-2003, 09:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ALKY OR RACE GAS

Alba, If you made that switch like me from turbo blue to alky you probably wouldnt have that opinion LOL Bubba

Old 01-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default ALKY OR RACE GAS

What is turbo blue?

Old 01-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default ALKY OR RACE GAS

I have a buddy that used VP MR2 with pretty good results. MR2 is a exotic race gas that is very close to alky hp numbers. Unlike alky, no carb modifications are needed with the exception of going up a few sizes on your main jet. The down side to MR2 is that it's like $11-12 a gallon. MR2 has alot of oxygen built into the fuel and will make your quad f@rt, stinking up your house if you have an attached garage, while at rest.

Detail are given at–http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp_01_f...B2F9#specialty

If you run alky you will have to get a different carb. Lectron and FTZ's Keihin are the most popular. Alky is around $1.60-3.00 a gallon. At the end of the days ride you will have to run gas through the carb/motor (purge) because alky contains alot of water and will rust bearings and white crap will form in the carb. Starting the motor will be easier after sitting for awhile with gas in the carb specially if it's cold outside. You will consume 2x's more alky than gas. With alky you will have to install larger fuel lines (1/4-5/16) and take out the screen filters in the petcock. Drill a hole in the gas cap and install a barbed nipple with a hose for better venting. A wide open run past 400' will suck all the fuel from the bowl, so I would suggest adding a Mikuni pulse fuel pump. It sounds like a pain but it's not really that bad. They also make a grape, cherry and alot of other additives to make the alky smell good. If you need assistance I can help for I've been running alky in my HPD race modded Sport for over a year with no problems and I ride it alot.

Jay

Old 01-09-2003, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default ALKY OR RACE GAS

Did you ever run you hpd race mod on race gas. Could you tell a big difference if you did.I talked with hpd yesterday and Mike said they don't run any on alcohol and that the few people they had talked to had actually slower et's in 300 ft because there race pipe needs to be really hot to get full hp. I don't really know what would be better. I'm running the big bore on the race mod with about 200 psi cranking compression. So I'd just have to get a different carb, change fuel lines and add a pump?

Old 01-09-2003, 02:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ALKY OR RACE GAS

Well I dont know how in the world you can call 3-4 bike lengths in 300ft slowing down. Pudjumper went from trail bike to alky screamer, but I went from race mod gas to alky. I dont not run HPD's pipe. I run CPI's, but I can tell you that i personally think that pudjumper's bike might still inch me out a little. You do have a hard time keeping heat in the motor on alcohol, and alot of times it will continue to make more power the more you run it. Just keeps getting faster. And if you think you might have a wheelie problem now, just wait until you add 15% more power. You should try riding mine with a stock swingarm. It is soooooo much fun.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Bubba

Old 01-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default ALKY OR RACE GAS

I'm definately going to give it a go. I may run it some like it is then switch it over so I will have some real numbers. I believe you, and I'd love to have that much more power. HPD may not like it because it should have close to the power of there new 416 just by switching to alcohol. Do you know of anyone that has a used alky carb? Also are electron or ftz carbs better. Also get me some picks of your setup when you can. I haven't really found to much information on alky setup on the web. Probably if I buy a new carb it will come with directions though. Do you think you will be at Little Sahara for Rattle snake this year. End of april, I doubt I will have alky by then, but I'd like to get smoked by you alky boys so I will know how others will feel when I get mine on alky.

Old 01-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ALKY OR RACE GAS

Bubba, I would like to have some more info on this myself.

How about posting the complete setup. Like carb jetting specs, tuning, and anything else you can tell us alky newbies.

Sounds like something that a lot of us racers could use!!!!

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: ALKY OR RACE GAS