Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator popping.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator popping.

G'day guys,I have just completed first hour breakin.I'm running w/b pipe, standard jettihg.Motor is popp ing as revs increase.Sounds like rev limiter cutting in,but way too earlyas rev's dont seem high. Any ideas or help? please.Thanks from down under, Geoff.

Old 01-13-2003, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

ANY OTHER MODS OTHER THAN THE PIPE, (K & N) ETC. WHAT IS YOUR ALTITUDE. YOUR PROBLY GOING TO HAVE TO RUN A LITTLE LARGER MAIN JET. 155 TO 160

Old 01-13-2003, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

I routinely hit the rev limiter on mine, even when not really trying........its suppose to cut in at 9000 RPM, but this motor revs so quick and fast its actually hard not to bounce off the limiter.......remember this is a 4 stroke, and while it really shines as a 2 stroke type quick reving machine, short shift it and let it pull hard..........

I've also noticed you get more chain growl when just putt putting up a trail, or if you're in too high of a gear, so keep it rev'd out and think of the rev limiter as a saving grace.

14/38 gearing seems to be more over-all usable power, instead of the stock 14/37, or a 13/37.........just a FYI...

Old 01-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

aussiequadrider:
My predator is also popping when it starts to rev. When i get anything over half throttle it cuts out and pops. I believe that it just needs rejetted. It acts like it's not getting the necessary fuel. I'm also running the WB slip-on and I removed the snorkel from the airbox. I plan on putting in a 160 main jet to see if this solves the problem. Please let me know if rejetting solved your problem, so i know what to do.

Old 01-13-2003, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer

That's got to be the rev limiter kicking in. It feels like the bike is still pulling hard when it shuts down ignition. I find it much more noticeable when you put on the WB pipe. That popping is the unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust when the ignition kicks back in. It sounds laike crap, but not having one would be disasterous. Hopefully, White Brothers will make a rev box for the predator that gives a few more rpms. In the mean-time, get use to the powerband and try to shift before it kicks in.

If you're getting pops other than at high RPMs, it is something else.

Enjoy!

Old 01-13-2003, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Experienced the same thing this past weekend. I would say that jetting is the main issue, even on a bone stock machine. The popping sounds like machine gun rounds going off.

Old 01-13-2003, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Man, I havn't even taken delivery of my Predator and I hate this carb already (probebly why I removed it from my DS and installed a 45 HSR) What would be the chance's of doing the same on a Predator?? manifold problems? Carb Mount K&N problems? there are some pretty good wrenches here, anyone have any info on a better carb install? thx, Rich A

Trending Topics

Old 01-13-2003, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NDpredator03
aussiequadrider: My predator is also popping when it starts to rev. When i get anything over half throttle it cuts out and pops. I believe that it just needs rejetted. It acts like it's not getting the necessary fuel. I'm also running the WB slip-on and I removed the snorkel from the airbox. I plan on putting in a 160 main jet to see if this solves the problem. Please let me know if rejetting solved your problem, so i know what to do.
I helped the popping on mine with the 155. If the snorkle is gone you'll need a 160 and raise the needle a notch.

Old 01-14-2003, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

G'day guys. Thanks for the great feedback.I'm guessing its needle issue. Its popping about midrange just like a rev limiter behaves. It's booked in to see the doc on thursday, I'II report back with the findings. Thanks from down under. Geoff.

Old 01-14-2003, 09:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks alot guys. I rejetted with a 160 and it seemed to help out abit, but i also raised the needle 1 notch and this helped too. I sure hope that WB makes a rev box soon. By the way, has anyone cut the 2"x3" hole in the back of the air box like Rath does and velcro an outerwear cover to it. I'm thinking about trying this tonight, so let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Derrick

Quick Reply: Predator popping.