Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I Have a TON of Pred quest!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Have a TON of Pred quest!

Can you stud the stock maxis?? Or would this be a bad idea? maybe stud em for the winter and take them out for the summer??

Old 01-15-2003, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

I don't see why you couldn't stud them or add ice screws, it has been done on lesser tires. But it is a lot of time and effort for what might be very little gain. I hate to say this, but your best bet might be to get a set of cheap rims (uses Honda 4x110 bolt pattern) with dedicated snow tires for it, if you ride a lot in the snow. I've heard that reversed Realators act kind of like a paddle tire for the snow and should work well for that application.

Old 01-15-2003, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

Scotts88,
With questions about snow traction, ground clearance and slow driving, I think the Predator might not be your best choice.
The Predator comes from the factory with a mid-high RPM performance cam, which makes great power on the pipe, but the trade off is less power down low. I'm not a Honda fan is any shape or form, but it almost sounds like a 400EX might be more up your ally. It would have the low speed engine performance your looking for and they are fairly cheep to buy used. You could pic one up for $3000 in good shape and try it out for a while, if you like it but need more performance later on, just sell it for what you paid and get the Predator.
Just a thought.
Enjoy whatever you get and RIDE SAFE

Old 01-15-2003, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

Mike Chero

The bolt pattern on the Predator is not the same as the 400ex(4-110). 4/156 is the bolt pattern on all four corners.

Scott
You can stud the Razors and it does make a big difference. My brother studded his Z-400 and it handles way better in the snow and ice then I do. But what Mike Chero said is right, you might want to think about another set of tires and just leave the studs in. It takes awhile to put them in.

Old 01-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

Scotts88-

About the stock predator tires, living in the same province and knowing how much snow is down I can't get anywhere's on my Predator off of a plowed road. 6 inches of snow and I'm hanging over the back WFO and hardly going anywhere's fast. Even on a plowed snow covered road above 7000rpm in 5th gear the tires are spinning, cause this thing just want's to go. The front stock tires aren't as good as other's I have used in the past, they would rather push the snow then turn. As long as you don't have to much snow on the ground yes it is a blast to tear around on. I was going to stud my stock tires also, but you can't ride on anything but snow or ice and even then this things likes to pull so hard in the upper rpm's that I'm pretty sure acouple of hours work putting studs in could turn into 2 mintues of tearing ever one of them out. I don't know if I helped you out or not but it's what I have found with my TLD Predator. I had the nerf bars included in the price but they still have't come in yet and my K&N clamp on air filter isn't in yet eihter.

Old 01-15-2003, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Mike Chero
I don't see why you couldn't stud them or add ice screws, it has been done on lesser tires. But it is a lot of time and effort for what might be very little gain. I hate to say this, but your best bet might be to get a set of cheap rims (uses Honda 4x110 bolt pattern) with dedicated snow tires for it, if you ride a lot in the snow. I've heard that reversed Realators act kind of like a paddle tire for the snow and should work well for that application.
Hmmm, we know now which magazine Mike's been reading (Dirt Wheels incorrectly reported the 4/110 pattern)..... Just kidding [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

89 and 90 Banshee's used 4/156 on the back also. Why I'll never know.

Old 01-15-2003, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

SCOTT, where did you find the K&N Clamp on Filter? Thanks!

Old 01-15-2003, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

Mea Culpa, I was lead to believe that they did have the Honda bolt pattern. Now this really ticks me off. I could have saved at least the front Hiper carbon fiber wheels off my old Sport and they would have fit the Predator. The back wheels had a 4x4" bolt pattern and I somehow doubt it would have fit the rear Hiper wheels (without changing the aluminum center section). Ah well, live and learn. GE 4X4, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Honda wheels are 4x144 front and 4x110 rear, right? And Yamaha's wheels are 4x156?

Old 01-15-2003, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ProXPredator
SCOTT, where did you find the K&N Clamp on Filter? Thanks!
Hello,

I ordered these on Sunday night, got them today! Very happy with the service.

Scott

http://www.hyperracing.com

Old 01-15-2003, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Mike Chero
Yes the 400ex and the Z-400 are 4/144 front and 4/110 rear. The Raptor is 4/156 front and 4/115 rear. And the predator is 4/156 on all four corners. Also the DS650 is 4/143 on all four corners.

Quick Reply: I Have a TON of Pred quest!