Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First oil change..question??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First oil change..question??

Ok..the book says 1 hour..change the oil..good..so i've got a little over an hour on the bike..called the dealer today to come in for the service..they're booked till the 29th cause one of their guys is on vacation!

They told me i can go 24hrs before i need a first service..oil change..etc. I told them the book said one hour..they said you'll be fine! HA..and these are the people im gonna have working on my bike!

SOO..whats the best thing to do..go to the dealer, buy a new filter and oil..do the change myself..then bring it in for the 24hr change?? Or just wait??

Old 01-17-2003, 11:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Just follow the instructions in the owner's manual, and take your time. It's very easy, they designed it to be very nicely accessible. Any questions, and there's lot's of people here to help. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ken

Old 01-17-2003, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

Well to add insult to injury i called up to just get an oil filter and oil and do the change myself..well the filter is on order until mid-next week..GRRRRR...so i guess im gonna have to try and call around and find one..either that or let my bike sit for a week!

And it seems that everyone at that dealership says..20+hrs before first oil change..that bugs me! They should at least know their products!

Old 01-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer

You should go and buy the oil and filter yourself. It's very easy to change. I'm on my 2nd oil change in 4 tanks of gas. Oil still looks very clean. I plan on changing oil one or two more times this summer. I won't be changing oil every 10 hours. I think that's Polaris' way of having us keep up on maintenance. :-)

Old 01-17-2003, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

If you search in here on this subject you'll find a couple of things. Most people have reported debris on the magnetic drain plug. I did and I'm glad I got that junk out of the engine early. Also, the Honda 400ex oil filter is a perfect match. You don't get a new cover o-ring but you don't get on with the Polaris filter either.

Old 01-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

the filter is also the same as all of the honda CBR 600 motorcycles from 1989 - 2001 . therefore almost all honda dealerships should also have the correct filter for your quad .

Old 01-17-2003, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1polaris
the filter is also the same as all of the honda CBR 600 motorcycles from 1989 - 2001 . therefore almost all honda dealerships should also have the correct filter for your quad .
It's the same as the entire ATV live, 350, 450, 400ex. Any and every Honda dealership will have this filter in stock.

I highly recommend changing the oil at 1hr, and every 10 hrs. There's been alot of metal found in this engine at the first oil change at 1hr. The quicker you get it out the better.

Oil breaks down in high performance engines much faster due to the heat and your clutch uses this same oil you need or should change it.

Guy's who race there high performance quads change there oil after every race day because of oil break down, and it's good to examine the oil for metal and etc... you might be able to save yourself a costly motor job if you catch a problem before hand.

If you trade your bike every 2 years then only change it as you feel. Cause who cares your getting rid of it and getting a new one, someone else will rebuild it after they buy it and realize it's a lemon.

Old 01-17-2003, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer

A perfect replacement is K&N#113. It's got the same "dished out" area on the filter, plus the filter element looks better. No it doesn't come with a new o-ring but if you're carefull you shouldn't rip or stretch it. Just thought I'd pass the info along.

Old 01-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Cool! Honda filter it is then! How much do these filters cost anyways?

So just ask for a honda filter for a 400ex? any year??

Old 01-17-2003, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

Anyyear 400ex the kimpex ones are cheaper then honda and are the same.