Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

PREDATOR: Serious Questions (problems)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PREDATOR: Serious Questions (buying)

I'm very srious in buying a Predator. But I have herd of a few things that have gone wrong with them. Although none of these problems are to major I would like to hear from some curent Predator owners on these problems. Some of the problems I herd of so far: Carb air hoses to low and the engine cuts out in water, Rear shock not set up right, front wheels won't spin when in air (by hand), Gas on seat get seat discolored, Gearing problems, Chain noise, Rough tranny (does it get better after break in), No low-end power, Revlimiter kicking in to much, Air Box mods, Loose hoses, And Heavy. I'm looking at racing some MX races with this Quad, does it have the potential to run at the front. I will probably have the boys at Rath help me set it up. Thanks

Old 01-17-2003, 10:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default PREDATOR: Serious Questions (problems)

Let me be the first one to say it, all bikes have problems from the factory. Choose one with problems easy to fix. Everyone you mentioned seemed to be easily solved. The only one that worries me is the tranny. The weight of the bike is not to bad. The rev limiter does come on to early. Hopefully in a few months someone will solve it with a cdi box or something to that effect. The bike seems to have plenty of low end power to me. Easy solution air box, pipe, and jetting should make up the difference. Gearing is cheap and chain noise was due to tension on the chain needed to be tightened. This is just my expierence with the predator. Hopefully it eased your mind some. All in all the predator is a very nice bike.

Old 01-17-2003, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

Quad999 - Your 350R will be faster and may even have a little more bottom end. The predator does not have mega torque like a raptor. The power delivery is very smooth. Doesn't 'hit ' real hard, just smooth all the way to the rev limit. the transmission is kinda 'sticky' or 'notchy' (if you will) feeling compared to the R. This is noticed only under hard acceleration. I hope it gets smoother as it gets rode more. I can't go in the suspension department, as I have never ran MX. I do jump a lot, the back shock is awsome, I have my compression set on 1, anything more than that and it will jar my teeth!!. For example: I found a steep jump, second gear revved full out, i was getting a little over 4 feet air. With the rear shock set on 1 I bottomed, so i set it to 6, hit the jump again, when it landed it felt like there was a steel beam in the place of the shock! i don't know if it even compressed! So i go back over the jump with it set on 3, perfect!.......I have never adjusted the spring preload or the re-bound adjustment.

FRONT SHOCKS spring preload about a half inch. This really is necessary if you ride in rough rutted sand. The spring is very stiff stock, after loosening the spring it makes the compression feel to soft to do 4-5 foot high jumps to me. I read on another post about the rezzys for the front shocks having the compression **** (SWEET),i think with the ability to stiffen up the compression then the front shocks should have the necessary adjustments for what ever riding you may encounter!

I ride in the sand only. With paddles (the good ones) the stock gearing istomuch going 1 tooth smaller in the front helps but is not enough. 14 - 37 stock I have 13 - 39 same as my R has, the engins seems to feel a lot like the r does, really likes to rev, so i went with the same gear ratio. I can't tell how it runs with this gearing since i have not rode it due to the weather. I am guesing it will be perfect though.

Comparing weight differences, the predator feels very heavy in the air compared to the R in the air. Just riding it feels about the same other than the handling ,stock to stock the predator handles a lot better.

I have had no problems with my quad as of now, but I have not been 'looking' for things either. I just walk around it looking at all the nuts and bolts to see if anything is missing or loose. Nothing has fallen off it yet, so far so good. No irritating plastic vibrations or rattles either,(oops i forgot about the chain guide roller, its irratating)

As for the rev limiter I have hit mine once that i know of, some idiot was flagging a drag race and decided he needed to wait 10 seconds to drop his arm! The rev limter works!!

MX possibilites: I think the bike is very capable, it maybe up to the rider to learn how to ride the bike to its fullest potential.

FRONT SHOCKS spring preload about a half inch OOPS! I meant to say i backed the spring preload off by a half inch.

Hope i might have helped you al little
turbo bobby

Old 01-18-2003, 11:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider

There are no problem's at all....just a few teething pains. Give Rath a call, he'll back these testimonies up. Incredible bang for the buck!!!

Ken

Old 01-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

I found a loose banjo bolt on the oil line. I have tightened my chain once, and reset the throttle cable length so the idle speed would be on the carb............. Loosened the preload on all three shocks, reset the rebound and compression in the back.
Thats it.
Very trouble free and a most satisfying ride!

I also think that suspension adjustments shouldn't be included in a list of "problems". Everyone has their own taste in how they want a quad to ride or jump or etc... The adjustments I made work very well for me, a small amount goes along way in ride quality. Have you ever adjusted on a bike that didn't respond? I have. Just tells me Polaris really got this one right.

Old 01-18-2003, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

The Predator is a great machine, it slides and handles awesome. After breaking it in I took it out to an MX track. The stock preload is a little stiff, but back it off and it handles great (how much depends on size of rider). I did back off the front spring preload a little, but not much. The thing jumps awesome, very controlable in the air (compared to a scrambler, this is my first true sport machine). But it lands like you're on a marshmallow. I tied up the carb vents so that is solved, checked all the coolant lines (they were good and tight), and looked over everything. The only complaint is what many say, it needs different gearing...which many times is going to be true if you are going to ride on an MX track with lots of hairpin turns...acceleration is what you want, not top end. I've put about 3 1/2 tanks of gas through mine and found that the tranny does loosen a little, it is much easier to hit neutral than when I first got it. It also starts well in cold weather...this morning it was about 3 degrees with windchill, after a couple cranks she sparked to life. Some may complain about the reverse, but it's really not that heavy...and really, if you look at all the sport quads out there (mostly the big bore) of the 400EX, Suzuki/kawi, raptor, DS, banshee, and cannondale, you're really only looking at 1/3 of big sport quads having reverse...so sometimes I think Dirt Wheels is a little harsh in bashing the Pred for that...but it is a Polaris, and you don't often look for praise from Dirt wheels if you are true to polaris...unless you read the segment on Rath's racer. All-in-All, you will not be disappointed with this machine!

--------------
03 predator

Old 01-19-2003, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all your help. If anyone has anymore Predator experiences post them. I'm particularly intrested in the MX views. Befor I can get my predator I have to sell my 400EX and my 250X. Does anyony know when Polaris is releasing the 2004 Quads?

Old 01-19-2003, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Quad999, are you MX'ing your 350r?

Old 01-20-2003, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer

I've got the Troy Lee Edition. Half of the things you are mentioning are because of modifications people perform. I've experienced no problems other than the tank runs dry after a while. I think it's due to me riding it! :-) I have re-jetted for the cold weather here in Wisconsin but some of the jetting specs people have done don't work well here. So far just main jet change works. The machine handles very well in the bumps and is predictable. As for heavy, put the Fox shocks, Douglas rims, Maxxis tires, and the steel on those other machines and weigh them again...might be suprised.

Old 01-21-2003, 04:21 AM
Pro Rider

I have about 2 tanks of gas through mine and have been to MX track. Set suspension up for you. This is a good thing and not a problem. It is a joy to have so much adjustment. I am hitting 35-43 foot doubles on mine and it soaks it up. I call mine "the sponge". It really does inspire confidence. If air hose is too low..reroute it I have done this on every quad I have owned...no worries there. Tranny does get better the more you ride it. Mine is sweet now with now complaints. Its not too heavy I am tilting it and bringing it back in air. ( I am 6ft 240). The chain noise is there at low speeds when you are lugging it.(My only complaint). All in all this bike is absolutely the most forgiving bike I have ever ridden. Mine stock does not have loads of bottom end punch. After you get 1/2 throttle though it is on. Power comes on like KFX of my buddies...only more of it. My other friend has one with the pipe and power is on strong as soon as you breathe on the gas. That thing pulls hard from bottom to top. You should go over any new bike to make sure everything is tight but I assure this thing is for real and it will be winning this year.

Quick Reply: PREDATOR: Serious Questions (problems)