Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

$5,400 otd for predator good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 09:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $5,400 otd for predator good?

Wrong bro,

I paid my registration fee and got my little '03 sticker(1st quad) right at the DMV - the exact same place I get all that sort of stuff for my cars.

Talked with my father today and he said the same thing happened when he purchased his '00 Foreman ES. It was new and he purchased it from a different, Honda-only, dealer in La Crosse. Again, his was registered right at the DMV. Maybe since La Crescent is a smaller town (4-5000 people) we are able to everything right at one office...

I'll try to call the DMV tomorrow to get a direct/current answer. All I know is I didn't pay any taxes when I registered my quads, it wasn't on my sales slip(checked that last night), and the dealer didn't eat the taxes himself...or at least he never told me he did. The only thing he told me was to pay the taxes when I registered it in MN.

Old 01-20-2003, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Your situation is unique. You are buying the ATV outside the state of Minnesota, right?

You can bring an ATV from any other state and not pay sales tax on it in Minnesota. Minnesota does not collect tax on an ATV through the registration. They do it through sales tax on ATV's that are purchased in Minnesota. The registration is done at the same place as license plates and tabs, but ATV registration ultimately goes to the DNR.

Old 01-20-2003, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

By the lady at the DMV saying no tax on ATV's, she's saying not tax every year like you pay on cars and trucks. The sales tax is paid when you purchase an ATV in Minnesota at the dealer. Once you pay the sales tax, you don't have to pay it every year to renew tabs. All you pay for is new registration when it expires. No tax, just sales tax at a MN dealer when it's purchased.....

Old 01-20-2003, 10:12 PM
Range Rover

Reply to the last line of part 1: That's what I was trying to say. You made it sound like it wasn't possible to register quads at the DMV. Sorry, I misunderstood you.

Reply to part 2: I know there is no tax on the registration fee...I'm saying that we did not pay any <u>sales</u> tax whatsoever on three new ATV's purchased out of state at two different dealerships.(one at Two Brothers Honda and the other two at Steiger Motors) It's my personal feeling that the dealers should be adding it in at the time of sale, but are for some reason telling us to pay it at the time of registration. When that time comes we are told nothing has to be paid except the registration fee.

Old 01-20-2003, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Correct on all points. I originally brought up sales tax because I didn't think the $5,400 price on a Predator in Minnesota included sales tax. That's when it seemed like it was in question if sales tax had to be paid on an ATV purchased in Minnesota. I think we're all clear now.....

What was the final vertict on the $5,400 OTD price? Was it true?

Old 01-20-2003, 10:42 PM
Range Rover

Was re-reading your first post and something clicked...You said Minnesota does not collect tax on an ATV through the registration. Do they collect that way for motorcycles? Both dealerships I mentioned earlier are also cycle dealers...It may be they have their wires crossed and are treating ATV sales just like cycle sales. Your thoughts??? Correct me if I'm wrong I've never bought a motorcycle.

Old 01-20-2003, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

I live in Wisconsin and it was mentioned at my bank that if I bought my ATV from Minnesota, the dealer wouldn't have to charge me sales tax.

That's not a bad price from Duluth Lawn and Sport. Last time I tried to buy an ATV there, they were selling for MSRP and wouldn't budge!

I'm starting to think I'm the only one who paid full price for my Troy Lee Predator and the other dealership even burned me on the warrenty, $500 for 4 years! Ok I'm a bit upset now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I guess I was too excited. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2003, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

I have no clue on street bikes, but dirt bikes are the same. Sales tax at the time of purchase.

Old 01-20-2003, 11:25 PM
Range Rover

Maybe someone else can help us out....Sales tax at the time of purchase when buying a street bike out of state? or at time of registration??? Aren't there any dealers on the forum that could help us sort this out???

TLDPredator,
Thank you, now I don't feel so alone on this one. When did they say it would be applied?

Old 01-21-2003, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

I think the dealers cost on a polaris predator is $5400 for the standard model so if you paid $5400 dollars otd for a brand new predator they didnt even make $1.00 on you. And at $5400 is what the dealer buys the quad for from polaris there has to be tax somewhere in the eqausion? because if this is all correct as you say we will all be going to your dealerships and buying a new machine.......

Quick Reply: $5,400 otd for predator good?