Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

01 SP 500HO DRIVE CAHIN PROBLEM???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 11:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 SP 500HO DRIVE CAHIN PROBLEM???

I have 1200 miles on my 01 sp500ho not a single problem until today.
I was spinning my tires (not really fast) on some bare ice in 2 wheel drive and then when the tires hit an area where the snow was frozen to the ice I felt and heard what sounded like a chain skip to me. I rode it back to the cabin in 4 wheel drive nice and easy.

Has anyone had the same trouble? Bad tensioner?? I cannot believe that i would have a bad chain with 1200 pretty easy miles. Am I looking in the right area or could it be something else give me your 2 cents.

Thanks

Chow

UPDATE....I CAN MOVE THE SECONDARY CLUTCH FROM 12:00 TO 3:00 (QUATER OF A TURN) BEFORE THE TIRES BEGIN TO MOVE, SEEMS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO WHAT I HAVE ON MY SNOWMOBILE....I DO NOT SEE ANY INFORMATION ON THIS IN MY SHOP MANUAL

STRECHED CAHIN OR MAYBE THE SELF ADJUSTER IS WORKING WHAT DO YA THINK?????
WAITING FOR THE DEALER TO CALL BACK

01 sp 500ho
02 sp 500ho [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2003, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer

Chow--

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but --- your 01' SP500HO does not have a chain. It is a belt driven system (like a snowmobile). The only place for a chain perhaps is inside the gearcase -- although I think it is all gear drive.

The sound you heard may have been the drive belt slipping. Catching traction with the wheels spinning.... somethin's gotta give. You will probably be OK just as long as the machine is running smooth now.

What do you other guys think?

Kevlar1 02' SP700

Old 01-21-2003, 12:07 PM
Range Rover

Kevlar1, you are right, they are belt driven, NO CHAIN. I have went through 2 belts on my sportsman 500ho in about 1500 miles. Chow, sounds like your drive belt may be goin bad. Only way to tell is by pulling the cover and checking the belt. Sounds like your lucky chow, everytime my belt goes I've had to get a tow home.

Old 01-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

There is a drive chain inside the transmission with a chain tensioner. The belt is in good shape. I will be checking the chain slop tonight by seeing how far I can rotate the tires back and forth befor the secondary cluch moves.....A good way to check or is there a better way?

Old 01-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

There is a chain inside the gearcase.

If there is something messed up inside the gearcase, I wouldn't get mad at anyone/anything but yourself. You cannot blame it for breaking in conditions like that. I heard all kinda stories about people spinning the tires on ice then hitting dry land...instant traction at high RPMs = trouble.

Also heard a lot of horror stories about ice freezing over parts, then when they went to ride or move the quad...snap! Something broke.

Old 01-21-2003, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

Where did the sound come from?Front or back?
I'v heard of people playing on the ice like that
and blowing out thier hillard clutch,or front gear case,or tranny
due to accidently hitting the 4x4 switch.
I also believe a couple other guys swears they dident touch the switch
when doing doughnut's and it locked in.
but if you road it home with no problems?????????
Any grinding sounds,CV's joints all good?
If there is something messed up inside the gearcase, I wouldn't get mad at anyone/anything but yourself. You cannot blame it for breaking in conditions like that. I heard all kinda stories about people spinning the tires on ice then hitting dry land...instant traction at high RPMs = trouble.
Did I miss something?where'd that come from?
I dont think he's trying to blame anyone,
sound's like he just wants to get it fixed

Old 01-21-2003, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

500DUSE....you didnt miss anything. I read it the same way you did. Like you said, he isnt blamming anyone, he just wants to fix his quad.

Old 01-21-2003, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry if I came off wrong. I was just stating something.

I cannot believe that i would have a bad chain with 1200 pretty easy miles.
That's just what I was refering to. I don't want to sound like an *ss...just saying something for others to see. Every winter something snow/ice related happens like this and I'm just making it a point for others to learn from.

Sorry.

Old 01-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like you jumped the chain in the transmision I would either have it looked at by a dealer or take it out and tear it down yourself.Its not that hard.Harder to get it off the bike than working on the tranny.The tranny is more like a transfer case than what you would think of a tranny.

Old 01-21-2003, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Offrider15
I come off wrong all the time....
I'm just misunderstood[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 01 SP 500HO DRIVE CAHIN PROBLEM???