Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My Predator at 4 stroke wars

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Predator at 4 stroke wars

Well back from Glamis ..... What a great trip!
First time out with the Pred .....Heres some observations but I got to try and keep it short cause I'm supposeed to be working...

Sat ran up olds a couple of times realized my jetting wasn't going to cut it for hill shooting.
But Duned fine (not that much into the throtle) So I figured what the heck I'll just dune and be fine and rejet when I got home....

Went to the sand drags Sat evening.... Only one other predator ( I drove my truck to the drags)
I flaged down the predator to see what he had on it..... He told me it wasn't his but that they had put a 175 main jet in it and modded the air box.... I looked at the air box and couldn't believe it....They had hacked of the whole lower back of the air box with what must of been a dull butterknife! ....I could see they had the stock filter in it as well and had done away with the foam prefilter.

Pred did pretty good at the drags .... only saw it race 3 times but was holding its own.

Let me stop here and mention that my bike has the WB slip on and a K&N filter ......
Sand Track II rears and 22" dune trackers up front. everything else is stock.

Went to FSW camp Sat night all the four stroke guys pufawed the predator.....
I had ran olds that day and new I had to rejet... Someone had told me that the carb takes the short octagon jet so I had brought a 160 with me .... Talking to those guys made up my mind to go back to my camp and put in the 160 jet. surprise the main is a short "Round" jet.... Bummer
covered the bike and first thing Sunday morning rode down to Gilmores woke the guy up in his trailer and persuaded him to open shop early and get me the right jet ......

Went back to camp and installed the jet. The needle only had 3 clip slots as far as I could tell and the clip was in the lowest place so I left it alone (3 slot down).... Got the bike back together and headed to Olds....

I had missed the preliminary runs and as the BLM had nixed the wars officially there was no real order it seemed..... Lined up to the left of where the main races were happening so I could practice getting through the whoops and what gear to start in etc.

Pretty stock looking banshee pulled up on the left a raptor on the right ( Had a pipe couldn't tell what else) ..... I beat those guys by 4 lengths even though I missed shifted badly. I have read that the gear box gets easier to shift as it gets broke in and I hope thats true. I had to use the clutch to shift and I'm not used to that.

Raced those guys 4 times with the same results so decided to go over were the real races were going on.

Now take into consideration that all of these bikes are modded ..... I had a slip on pipe and my 160 jet
(which was still popping but it was way better) 1st race got beat by a DS650 ( I still didn't have my shifting down ) 2nd race even with the DS and third race beat him by about a lenght .... Next was a Raptor that was very modded he beat me every race by 1 length ( No more ) So heres my impressions....

I need to figure out the jetting I am going to go to a 170 and see what happens... ( I haven't looked at the spark plug yet cause I didn't want to remove the gas tank)

Possibly mess with the air box ( In a sensible asthetic way) but the thing I want to do first and formost is regear! You can bearly ever get out of second gear! So I think I'll go to the 13/39 set up
( anyone know were I can find the rear sprockets?)

So far from this weekend I have unofficially determined that:
The Predator with the slip on ,jet& K&N will beat a Raptor with the same mods by 2 lengths every time.
( This is hill shooting were talking about ) Will beat a Banshee with pipe and jetting by about 1 length and could be determined by rider and hole shot. DS650 by a couple of lengths.

It won't beat any of these bikes if they are heavily modded with engine work cool heads, extended swing arms etc. I did not get the chance to race a canibal (sp?) but dearly wanted to. Just wasn't any running when I was there.

Now lets talk about duning! That machine is flat made for duning! handles like a dream. Lands from 8-9' like you were landing on a pillow! The zero bump steer is no lie that thing will turn on a dime and give you 9 cents back! It takes the turns at high speed with out even thinking about tipping. smooth as butter even through buggy tracks etc. Thing runs a bit hot it seems but never was a real issue except it was a little hot on my leg while riding with zip offs.

All in all I gotta say this bike is the real deal! I ran the bike hard and had no problems except my superWhip broke the whip tab off of the grab bar.... But thats ok I'm ordering a cooler rack today! I know I changed some minds over the weekend.... espeacialy my friend Doc Chase who was pissed his modded ( with head work ) raptor got tore up going up China wall.( 2-4 Lengths) I'm sure Doc will have some more mods done before I see him again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But then again...... So will I