Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Just will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 10:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just will not start

I have an 01 Trialblazer that I unloaded off the trailer ready to ride and it simply shutoff, Just like turning off the key. I ve changed the CDI, COIL, PLUG, PLUG WIRE AND THE CARB. Still will not start. It seems as though the bike is trying to fire 180 out., BDC INSTEAD OF TDC. Does this sound like a stator key? I hate to take it to the dealer with a unknown problem for fear of a lot of $$$$$. I have a HPD pipe, clutch kit, uni filter and jetted the carb. The bike probably has less than 50 hours on it so I really confused. I also have a parts manual but I'm looking for a shop manual. Thanks

Old 01-23-2003, 11:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Just a simple idea (I've had it happen myself) double check the kill-switch on the left bar, and make sure it's in the run position.

Ken

Old 01-23-2003, 12:22 PM
Trailblazer

I wish it were that simple. I think the bike will end up at the dealer but like I said it will probably be costly. I don't think it is related to the piston or rings because of the compression check I did, 120psi. I really miss riding but being the penny pincher that I am makes taking it to the dealer tough.

Old 01-23-2003, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Beefy250,

If your still looking for a shop manual check out Partsland. I bought the original shop manual for my wifes Polaris Trailboss 325. Reasonably priced as well.

Good Luck in finding your problem!

Troy

P.S. I hate having to deal with dealers as well.

Old 01-23-2003, 12:34 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Troy

Old 01-23-2003, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

When a motor turns over and doesn't start, it's ussally one of two things. No spark or no fuel. I see you did everything on the spark side, are you sure fuel is getting to the carb.

Old 01-23-2003, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Similar to what GE4x4 said, any internal combustion engine needs only three things to run: spark (at the right time), the proper fuel / air mixture, and sufficient compression. Sounds like you have checked the compression side and if it was running and just quit - your fuel / air situation is probably OK... so I would be looking at a spark / timing issue.

Old 01-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hit the 'Reply...' button too soon...

Have you tried taking the spark plug out, re-connect it to the plug lead, ground it against the cylinder head and hit the starter to see of you have spark at all?

Make sure you are holding the plug lead and not the spark plug when you crank it or you could end up wetting your shorts...

Oh, also make sure there is no spilled fuel around when you try this or you may give yourself a new hairdo.

Old 01-23-2003, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer

If it were me I would pull the plug wire off and see if the machine is firing if not it would be electrical and if it does fire spray some starting fluid in the air box and see if it cranks if so it is a carb problem.It may be the E.T.C switch you can take the cover off and ohm the switch out.

Old 01-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Trailblazer

The TB went to the shop on Sat. I should hear something by Tues as to the gremlin that is keeping me from riding . As soon as I know what it was I'll let you guys know. Thanks for all the tips.

Quick Reply: Just will not start