Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

need REAR axle removal help ON 500 HO

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 07:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need REAR axle removal help ON 500 HO

hello Im gonna make a real long story short I really screwed up my 01 500 h.o. I broke the front output shaft and the rear cv joint I already fixed the front and now have gone to the back. Heres the deal, I got a whole new shaft for the right rear (if your standing behind it looking towards the front) anyways the dealer told me just get the bearing carrier off(no prob) then just grab the shaft and give a good yank and the shaft will come right out of the rear differential then ya can pop the new one in just as easy. Well I have yanked pulled grunted and groaned and that sucker aint comin out( i think a disc in my back did though) so Im concerned there must be more the removal then just pulling on the shaft CAN YALL HELP ME?

Old 01-23-2003, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

I could never get it to pull out either,others swear by it.
I always have to pull the cir-clip off.
Clean the grease off the shaft,there's a cir-clip(snap ring type of thing) there.

Old 01-23-2003, 08:19 PM
Range Rover

how do ya get to that snap ring do ya have to pull the whole rear end apart

Old 01-23-2003, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

Are you replacing the plunging joint? If not, just take off the inside boot, and clean all the grease off. You should be able to see the clip. A pair of snap ring pliers will normally do it. I used a small screwdriver to get in there and pry it open just enough to pull it out. It does help to have someone else there with you.

Hope this helps

Scott

Old 01-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Clean the shaft,look at the cv joint (were the shaft meets the joint)or run your finger around it,you'll come to a spot that feels like it's got a 3/4 inch chip taken out of it.It's a recessed grove.
And thats the only place to get to it.
I forget if I had to pinch it together or pry it apart??
I'm leaning toward pry apart .

Old 01-23-2003, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

500DUSE is correct. The best thing to do is to clean all of the grease out. I cut the old boot off and wiped as much grease away as I could (because the boot was bad and I was replacing it). I then took a can of brake cleaner to cut and clean the remainder of the grease out of the way. I will admit, it is tough to see. You should be able then to see how the clip is positioned and then you should be able to see how to pry the clip apart. Note: it is a a big 'C' clip on the inside of the bearing housing. You have to look carefully. It is is big clip, not a small one. I have a Polaris shop manual and it did not do a good job clearly explaining what needed to be done. After I figured it out I made a foot note in my manual and I am now referring to it as I am trying to explain it to you. The key is to clean the hub really good and it still may be a little difficult to see. Depending on how you hub is positioned, if you still don't see the opening in the 'C' clamp, rotate the hub slowly and you will see the gap in the 'C' clamp.

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2003, 10:52 PM
Range Rover

im not sure if i was clear but im trying to get the complete shaft off not the end im replacing the shaft all the way into the rear end ive got a complete new assembly and it needs to be put into the rear diff and im not able to get the old one to yank out

Old 01-24-2003, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

Go to Partsland.com. It will show you an exploded view of the rear. If you are not changing the plunging joint, there is only a snap ring inside the cv joint that you will be able to see. If you take that off, the shaft comes off. I've never taken the plunging joint off, but it looks like it's just another clip. But I could be wrong about that last part, sorry.

Scott

Old 01-24-2003, 06:48 PM
Range Rover

predator 03 that is an awesome sight the parts list are great best parts sight ive ever seen thanks for the info

Old 01-24-2003, 06:50 PM
Range Rover

by the way im actually trying to get the plunging joint out then back in

Quick Reply: need REAR axle removal help ON 500 HO