Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator brakes

Got a new Predator and the front brakes are dragging. When I jacked up the front end to ajust the preload I noticed that the wheels are hard to turn and I can hear them and feel were they have started wearing a groove. Just wondering if anyone elses quad was doing the same thing.

Old 02-03-2003, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default Predator brakes

mine is does this also. in fact you can wipe your finger on the back side of the wheel and you will get black brake dust on your finger.

i wonder if the brake lever is the problem, i have noticed i can just barely pull it and the wheels stop. kinda like the lever is holding a little pressure there. what do you think about this idea?

turbo bobby

Old 02-03-2003, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Predator brakes

Man I wish I knew. Ive been to the dealer twice and they are a bunch of idiots. I just dont think that the calipers should hold that much pressure all the time. If I spin the front wheel it turns about a half of a turn before it stops. I just hope it doesnt turn out to be a problem. The one on the showroom spins like a bicycle tire.

Old 02-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer
Default Predator brakes

Hey FMF...Mine did the same thing too, and if I recall correctly there were quite a few others who had noticed the same thing in a previous post. I could barely get one turn out of the wheels when I spun them as hard as I could. I'm happy to report that after about 15 hours of riding, they have loosened up quite a bit and they will now spin 10-12 times. I expect you should see the same results.

Old 02-03-2003, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Predator brakes

Well, that make me feel better that it isnt just mine doing it. Hopefully that will do the trick and thanks for the feedback.

Old 02-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Predator brakes

My brakes are dragging and the rear does abit also on my Predator.

I hope this thing doesn't go through brake pads like my 400ex.

For my 400ex I make my own pads out of brass which is much cheaper and last alot longer and isn't hard on the rotor. They don't work as good on the front though so I only use them on the back.

Old 02-03-2003, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Predator brakes

My back brakes are as loose as can be it is the front that is giving me the problem. I hope that by the time they quit rubbing I dont need new brakes. I have also heard that polaris stamps their brake pads instead of machining them so they are uneven so maybe that is part of the problem. I also saw were they have a recall on the calipers becouse they are not torqued to right specs. It is at www.polarisindustries.com on the home page in red. Also found a cool website www.prdatorowners.com. Looks like it will end up being pretty cool.

Old 02-03-2003, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Predator brakes

I don't know if this is dumb or not...but do the calipers have an adjustment screw on them? Maybe you could back it off a little bit and it could help.

Old 02-03-2003, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Predator brakes

What is the correct torque for the front caliper bolts?

Old 02-03-2003, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Predator brakes

I beleive its 18 ft/lbs. I called the dealer about this and asked if the recall was preformed on my quad...they said no, so i asked what the specs where and went out and torqued them myself. All where torqued correctly but one bolt. Needed about 3/4 turn to torque right. Not much really...but with such little lb/ft, it might be all tahts needed.

Another thing i noticed was that my wheel lugs wernt very tight. Anyone have the torque specs on the lugz?

Quick Reply: Predator brakes