Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman 700 problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 05:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sportsman 700 problems

Have a poblem with the bike backfiring when i let the throttle go. And also the rims are starting to rust around the outside anybody else have these problems? Have had it 2 months and if continues to rust like it is it wont be very pretty!!!! Thanks for any info

Old 02-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Range Rover

I'm having the same rust problems with my 03 700, although I only have a little rust now and I try to keep the rims clean, I'm sure they will look like crap in a year or two. I haven't had any probs w/backfiring.

Old 02-05-2003, 06:59 PM
Range Rover

The backfire could be caused by an exhaust leak where the muffler meets the exhaust pipe or farther forward where the exhaust pipe mates with the header pipe. Mine popped and backfired after I installed an AAen muffler. I finally got it to stop after using high temp sealant at the connections. Learn to live with the rust, I waxed mine many times to no avail, I finally gave up on them.

Old 02-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

I had a rim replaced under warranty for flaking chrome. They didnt want to but my dealer went to bat for me, actually emailed digital photos to Polaris to show it was from a poor plating job and not from wear. Now all my wheels have a lot of little rust pits on them, they look ten years old. They obviously went out to the lowest bidder, cheap piece of junk. One in particular is horrible, I'm going to replace it. I've tried to keep them polished but it's a losing battle. It's too bad cause they look so nice. I don't know what to replace them with, because I don't like the look of the black steel wheels, and the aluminum is too expensive. Anybody know what a stock chrome wheel costs? I'll probably just replace the really bad one, polish the others and try to forget for another year.
The only time I've had mine backfire is if I ride in reverse without overiding the limiter, it loads up and pops as soon as you let off. Obviously not what you're experiencing.

Old 02-05-2003, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Northstar2, the stock chrome steel wheels from Polaris list for 99.99 for rears and 79.99(i think) for the fronts. You can check partsland.com to be sure. Have you seen the ITP C-series aluminum wheels? They are only about 8 lbs a piece, usually can find them for $65-$75 .. less than what stock rims cost. I have them on my SP 600 and they look sharp !!

Old 02-05-2003, 08:57 PM
Range Rover

Your problem with the backfire is the ETC switch needing adjustment. Very simple to do:

1. start engine, let warm up (trans in neutral)

2. slide covers apart on throttle cable next to headlight

3. loosen jam nut on throttle cable.

4. start turning upper portion of throttle cable counterclockwise untill idle rpm's start to increase.

5. when rpm's increase then turn throttle cable clockwise one half turn to return to normal idle rpm's.

6. turn handlebars full right, listen for rpms to increase. If they do hold handlebars full right and turn throttle cable clockwise until rpm's go back to idle.

7. turn handle bars full left and repeat procedure for item six above.

8. tighten jam nut on throttle cable and slide covers back together.

9. check for free play in throttle lever should be 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch

Takes about 1 minute to do whith engine warmed up! And no more backfiring!!!

Old 02-05-2003, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

$99.99?!?! Hol;y crap! that's more than I thought. I have seen and I do like the c-series, but I'm a little leery about aluminum. Course I had aluminum rims on my off road truck and never broke one... I could probably get it rechromed for that kind of money. I wonder how powdercoating would be.

Old 02-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Range Rover

hey TIMMMMMAY how about you don't just walk into a forum to cause trouble...go back to the honda forum and dream of a 650 ex that will never be

Old 02-06-2003, 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just got my machine back today. The dealer put in bigger jets (does 162.5 sound right), stock come with 155s I think!! Anyway it is the one bigger. He said because of the cold weather maybe its not getting enough fuel,hopefully this stops the backfiring! As far as the rims that pisses me off every time I look at them, but I guess chrome/steel will do that. Thanks to those that replied!!!!

Old 02-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

What's with these new members coming in here all the time and making an *ss of themselves? It's getting old real quick and it's been happening more than ever lately.

Quick Reply: sportsman 700 problems