Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman went thru the ice

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sportsman went thru the ice

The best investment I ever made for winter driving was a floater suit I will not drive on the ice without it
It will save your life some day and the things are warm mine is good for minus 60 I am a big guy too and it has no trouble floating me.
Glad too here you and your bike are alright I am curious too how you got it from 30 feet do you know a diver my buddie is one and he has had too rescue trucks and cars from the bottom when they went throught the ice
Actually the floater suit was a gift from my daughter & her mother one christmas, Cant imagine leaving this earth before she grows up

Old 02-06-2003, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

I've heared of putting a snorkel on your quad, but it sounds like yours needs an entire Scuba suit...C'mon man you can't tell us you fished your quad out of 30 foot freezing water and not tell us how it happened...We enjoy the details. What you were trying to do, what chemicals you were on at the time...that kind of stuff.

Old 02-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

If you're doing a ot of ice rideing, make a set of fold out arms to bolt to your racks. Pipes that fold in and out or pipe inside a pipe, like the trail packers, that drag snowmoble trail over lakes or rivers use. They weigh 30,000 lbs and just put the arms out when over water, if they go through the ice the arms keep them on the top.

Old 02-06-2003, 03:15 PM
Range Rover

You might want to bring the seat inside for a while to let it dry. They get very hard once they freeze.

Old 02-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Trailblazer

Alpine 2,
I would love to know where you got that suit from. Can you reply me back I would greatly appreciate it. Anytime I got out i usually have a set of homemade ice grabbers in case I do go in I can try to pull my self out. Thanks

Old 02-06-2003, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

I got mine from Schooner it's a local store it is basically the same ones the Canadian coast guards wear
except I did not want the floresent orange so I got them to bring me in one that is blue and red to match the red on my scrambler it also has a floresent yellow hood and whistle. it gets cold here and I have never been cold in it I just wear a tee shirt and a pair of shorts. Now if I could just get a pair of boots that are just as warm

Old 02-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Alpine,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2809068454

This is a link to mickey mouse boots. Your feet will not get cold in them. I've bought a few things from that seller, if they don't list what you need, just email them. They are great sellers. The boots are great, too.

Scott

Old 02-06-2003, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer

OKAY HERE'S THE STORY I was out on the lake just riding around looking for some freinds who were
ice fishing bad idea . I got over on some bad ice about 1/2 mile or so from shore so i started a big turn
with the hammer down and as you already know i didn't make it the 500 went thru the ice and when it
came to a stop it though me off and i landed on the ice. when i turned around the rear bumper was about to go under so i grabbed it and hooked it on the edge of the ice until help arrived . it took 7
man and a kodiak with a winch to get it out. owe by the way sportsman 500's with a winch on them
do not float we almost lost a couple of times. so that's the story and im sticking to it.

Old 02-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

Nice boots but they are not my size. How come they stopped making them.

Old 02-06-2003, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

The way I understand it, they are too expensive to make. I guess it has to do with the governments standards for making them. If you email Billy Norman, you can ask them if they have your size. I've done that two different times. They really are great sellers. And no, I don't have any sort of vested interest in them.

You will not regret buying them. They really are amazing.

Scott

Quick Reply: sportsman went thru the ice