Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

clutch kit question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch kit question

Do you have to have a clutch alignment after putting in a clutch kit? I just put in a HPD aggressive clutch kit and it came with a spacer and washer. I think the washer is for the primary to replace the origunal one. Do I use the spacer for the secondary? Do I need to use it? It seemed to run fine before the clutch kit so I dont think the clutch was misaligned. Do I need an alignment afterwards? Thanks

Old 02-10-2003, 10:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You dont need to re aligned but I would check them just to be sure. Also make sure that you have full shift out. You can use a blk perminant marker and put a line from top to center of each sheeve (4 total). Keep the cover off and take it for a spin. Go full throttle till your speed max,s out. Go back to your garage and check to see if the lines are still there or not. If you have some line left then you are not getting full shift out or if you have 1 line left on a sheeve then your not aligned. If no lines are there then your all set to go. I would also check your rpm,s to make sure you have all the rpm,s that you are supposed to have.

Old 02-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Should i use the spacer that came with the kit for the seconary? Was that big washer intended for the primary to replace the original? Thnaks

Old 02-10-2003, 10:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

They do reccomend that you replace the old washer with the new one. I think the new washer is a little thicker than the stock one. You only need the spacer if the belt is to tight on the secondary. Your belt should come to the top of the secondary clutch sheeves but if the belt has space, you need to take a spacer out, or if it is to tight and rises above the sheeves then add the spacer. It is not needed in most cases.

Old 02-10-2003, 10:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

That is the thing that got me. The instructions said to relace the stock washer with the "bigger one". However, there was only a washer and a spacer in the bag. The new washer is larger in diameter than the stock one, yet is about half the thickness. The instructions said to replace the orignal washer and that is the only one that I say and it fit so I put that one on in place of the orignal. Should I not have? Thanks

Old 02-10-2003, 11:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

OOPs i ment to say bigger not thicker. The new washer lets the clutch open up a little more. You did the right thing. Make sure you have it wound right or you will have real bad performance. There are different settings to put the spring if you want it to shift quicker or longer. I think the setting they told you is 2-2.

Old 02-10-2003, 11:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The washer that they told me to use was for the primary. Is there a certain way that I need to wind that or are you refering to the secondary? I havent gotten that far yet. They didnt give me a washer for that, just a spacer. I need to borrow a friend's snap ring pliers first. I already broke one pair trying to get that snap ring ogg. Man is it tight. I think they gave me a brown primary spring and a light purple seconary spring with a new helix, 44 34 or something like that.

Old 02-10-2003, 11:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your clutch kit came with the 10 series weights for the primary, then you must use the larger washer in place of the original washer. It keeps the engagement and placement of the weights correct.

Old 02-10-2003, 11:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It did come with new weights. I think that they are 50-10 or something along that line. Thanks guys. Ohh, and tips to getting that snap ring off of the secondary?

Old 02-10-2003, 11:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I turn the top sheave (with the snap ring facing up) CC just a bit and push down on the helix and hold with one hand. It will relief some pressure to let you get it off. Once you do it a couple of times you kind of get the hang of it. If you have someone to help you it gets alot easier.Bubba

Quick Reply: clutch kit question