Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to put your Polaris into 4 wheel EBS instead of 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2000, 05:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hugh I just notice when i read your post again that you said you had your bike in the AWD position I must say maybe it would be better if there was some kind of mechanism that would automatically put it in 4 wd soon as you flipped the switch but I do think you need to have your bike checked out I go up some dangerously steep stuff here and just a hint of a strain on the rear wheels puts mine into 4 wheel drive are sure your front end is engaging...you can find out by getting in some really slippery stuff at not to much of an incline and gas the heck out of it, then see if all 4 wheels throw mud before you try that steep incline again. And yes bigbear there is room for improvement but when I go down some dangerously steep stuff I use the method I posted on getting the polaris into 4 wheel compression breaking you wouldn't believe how good this works.

Old 04-22-2000, 09:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

DEAR Tidlewave
both 4-wd sys are the same sys.should act the same.Its poss hillard clutch needs cleaning or even poss someone put wrong frt.hub fluid in.Try polaris hub fluid after cleaning and inspection of both frt.hub units.
have fun polarman

Old 07-04-2002, 11:11 AM
Range Rover

I am starting to regret getting a Sportsman 500 because of the set up ,with no engine breaking on the front wheels..I have been in some scary situation going down steep hills ...Where my friend with a Honda 350 with standard shift has no problems..I have only has it about 2 months ..
Another thing is having to stop to go into low range every time you come to a ruff spot...then stopping again to go back into high....My friend with a standard ,just shifts down and keeps going..leaving me to play catch up...
The method they explain here sounds inconvenate ..some times you dont have a space to back up 10 ft. to engage EBS on the front wheels...I am sorry to say I wouldn't recommend any one tto buy a Polaris..it's dangerous to follow other bikes..you think you can go where they go..but with this set up..it don't think so... Even the mechanic at the dealer mentioned this to me...

Old 07-04-2002, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

I don't have my Polaris anymore, but I did try the 4 wheel engine braking technique for going down steep hills. It does work, HOWEVER it is almost impossible to steer! I guess if the hill is straight down it might be ok, but if there are any turns in it forget it. At least this was my experience. Might be different on the new Polaris quads but I dought it.

Old 07-04-2002, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris is supposed to be switching all of their 4x4 quads to the new 4x4 system found on the Sportsman 700 in 2003. While the new set-up doesn't eliminate the problem with 2wd EBS, it does make it a heck of a lot easier to maintain, especially as the quad gets older. No more worrying about bad hub seals or wires, etc.

Old 07-05-2002, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

It's too bad that they would redesign the 4wd system and still not include 4 wheel EBS. Oh well.

Old 07-05-2002, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

They need to do exactly what they did with the Magnum RMK, the front end is the same as the Bombardier, called the VISCO LOCK, which is not fake like the Honda's, it locks the front end right up until your out of trouble, even in reverse. Polaris used it on the RMK and thats the best thing they could of done.
No bull just performance, I love it. I have a Traxter XT and the puppy can pull like nothing i've ever seen and it has 4 wheel engine breaking.
2002 Traxter XT

Old 07-06-2002, 10:13 AM
Trailblazer

Man you have all lost me on this how to engage or disengage the all wheel drive systems?

After riding a Banshee here in Buffalo, NY for a year I realized 4-wheel drive was needed, and automatic transmission (but not all the time)!

I have had two Scramblers, 1996, 2000 and have a 2001 Sportsman HO (all 4-wheel).

After reading the “Manual” it was clear to me how the 4-wheel drive works. Button off, two wheel drive! Button on, still two wheel drive unless the front wheels are moving slower then the front tires or not at all!

You want to fool the system? Run a shorter front tire but be prepared to fight the handlebars when you make turns in true engaged 4-wheel drive.

As for EBS at the rear wheels only? I am sure Polaris did this on purpose for control reasons. The EBS is there as a helper and you have an item called “brakes” that came with the ATV. If you were going down a grade where it is slippery enough to cause the rear wheels to break traction (start sliding from EBS) could you imagine what would happen if your front tires were also sliding? I am sure Polaris tried this system both ways and felt they would have less “Product Liability” suits this way.

If you ride the Sportsman or any other Polaris 4-wheel drive, EBS system even close to the Manufactures limitations it will be more then enough machine. However it is the “Nut” in most of us that tries to climb a tree or jump of a cliff and feels the ATV has failed when (S)he is at home recovering.

Mark

Old 07-06-2002, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer

If you don't have e.b.s you can adjust your rear secondary clutch settings to 1 to 1 instead of the stock setting of 2 to 2.This will give you motor braking, going down hill and your motor will be connected even decellerating.Less slipage on belt.And if you really want a clutch kit system try www.heelclicker.com .heelclicker will change your regular polaris clutch system .ebs and none ebs to a grabbing,none slip,hang on tight machine.

Old 07-07-2002, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

"And if you really want a clutch kit system try www.heelclicker.com .heelclicker will change your regular polaris clutch system .ebs and none ebs to a grabbing,none slip,hang on tight machine."

Grizz4750,
Could you please go into more detail about the Heelclicker system? Sounds interesting. Also, does it have an effect on how the machine behaves going down steep slippery hills?
Thanks, Brad

Quick Reply: How to put your Polaris into 4 wheel EBS instead of 2