Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rolled the SP600 today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 01:25 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolled the SP600 today.

Rolled my four month old SP600 today on a lake in deep snow. Winded up highsiding and getting tossed about ten feet with the wheeler wheels up and steaming. I rolled it back over and it started right up. Some plastic on the right side by the footrest got ripped a bit and the bars are bent down a bit but other than that it seems ok. I took the speedo cover off to adjust the bars back up and you wouldn't believe what an unbelieveable bitch it is to get the nuts off that hold the bars on. Motorcycles use a allen on top type of system. Polaris decided to put the bolts underneath the bars and put them right next to a bracket so you can't get tools in there. Thanks Polaris. I'm going to toss the bolts and get aircraft allen bolts to replace them in case this happens again. Setups like that sure would make shops smile when a customer wants their bars adjusted. "Yes that will be $120.00 please".

John

Old 02-17-2003, 01:39 AM
Range Rover

Hey jalljc, make sure you check your oil now. The only reason I say that is cause when you roll your atv sometimes oil will get to your airbox. I've rolled my sportsman 2 times and both times I had oil in my airbox and my air filter was soaked in oil. I'd say when I rolled mine about 1 to 2 cups(maybe more) of oil made it to the airbox. If you have oil in your airbox there is a drain on the bottom of the airbox. Help this helps and safe riding!!

Old 02-17-2003, 01:46 AM
Range Rover

Thanks, will do.

Old 02-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent advice. My Dad learned that one the hard way.

Old 02-20-2003, 11:26 PM
Range Rover

Ok, fixed the handlebars but what an absolute bitch. Here's what I did in case its helpful to others.

Phillips screws one on each side of the headlight and one facing the rider. This allowed me to remove the plastic cover. Two plugs inside let me disengage the speedo and light from the handlebar area.

Two phillips screws on the bottom of the handlebar area lets you drop the black plastic lower housing a few more inches.

7/16 nuts on the bottom of the %$#E@ bolts holding the handlebars in their clamp. No matter how loose you won't be able to adjust the bars.
Removed all four and pulled the bolts. Still no handlebar movement. Pryed the top clamp off to discover that there is a peg that the top clamp fits into the lower clamp. This keeps you from lifting the top clam even with loose bolts.

Removed top clamp and handlebar. The handlebar has adhesive on it inside the clamp to keep it from moving.

Positioned the bars where I wanted them. Used (4) Allen bolts I purchased at a hardware store to replace the stock bolts. This allowed for easy reinstall.

(4) 1.5 x 6 allen bolts. (4) 6 lock nuts. Used a 10mm wrench to hold the nut and allen wrench to turn the bolt from the top. P
ut my screws and plugs back and all better, the way Polaris should have built it in the first place.

John