Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need help with my Predators

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my Predators

I purchased two new Predators last week. I had them delivered with the Pure Polaris (White Brothers) silencer on both, packed with 8 discs each.

I rode them at sea level in Mexico all weekend. When I accelerated hard, the engine on both began "popping" at the top of each gear. In other words, it ran like a bat out of he!! until the engine hit the top range of each gear. Then it began almost backfiring with small, light-colored flames shooting out of the silencer.

Everything other than the silencers are stock. Could somebody please help?

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like you're hitting the rev-limiter. Pretty common when running the Predator hard! It shouldn't hurt anything. On a whole other topic , hope you don't take offense to this idea but isn't that a little more machine than a 13 year old needs? Here in Wisconsin that's what makes up most of the statistics for people getting hurt or killed (young person on adult machine). Just concerned for his well being, as I'm sure you are also...

Old 02-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

For most, I would agree. However, he is a pretty big kid and started on a Honda 70 when he was six years old. Since then, he had a Blaster, then Sport 400 and now a Predator.

How do I get around the Rev Limiter? My other quads never had anything like that.

Old 02-18-2003, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Could it be my main jet?

What is the stock jet size and type and what should I increase it to?

Old 02-18-2003, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

G'day Rob4092.
Mate, I'm @ sea level as well. I had all the same symptons as you have & tried a lot of different setups,nothing helped. Everyone was telling me it was the rev limiter & to change gears earlier , I put & tacho on it & it was popping it's t!t's off @ approx 6000rpm.

So I put the original pipe on & this girl really sings all the way to 9ooorpm[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
My dealer is getting a kit from USA to fix.

Your in a great position having two bikes, try changing the pipe on one bike & compare. It only takes 15 min's & should prove that you dont have rev limiter problems @ least.
Look forward to reading the results, good luck.

Thanks from down under Geoff.

Old 02-18-2003, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

Aussiequadrider:

I have to agree that they begin this popping way before 9000 rpm.

Did you try re-jetting? I am wondering if it is simply leaning out as it gets into the higher RPM's.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 02-18-2003, 04:56 PM
Trailblazer

This is a common problem go here for more info....

http://www.b2g4.com/boards/board.cgi?&user=miltony

or

http://esuperbikeshop.com/ and go to Predator forum

Old 02-18-2003, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Rob, I am hearing these same problems from alot of people. Here is my currant setup, no popping, runs clean to the rev limiter. First check your float level, there has to be enough fuel in the bowl for this thing to run, mine was to low from the factory. Pilot jet is stock, removed plug from idle air adjustment, 2 1/2 turns out. needle in the stock position (3rd slot). main jet is 160. stock air box with the snorkle removed. (rubber gromet and all removed, just a round hole left). K & N filter with no prefilter. white bros. pipe with 5 disc plus the solid plate at the back. my elevation is not that much different than yours. This thing will flat haul with this setup. I also run 89 octane from the local store. Also keep a close check on the spark plug, it will tell you whats going on. hope this helps

Old 02-18-2003, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

How do you know if it is your rev-limiter kicking in or just this popping noise everyone else is experiencing??

Old 02-18-2003, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

Alot of people are experiencing it early in the rpm's @6000 or so. Rev limiter dont kick in until 9000. The only way to know for sure is a tach, unless you ride a stock one and get a feel for where the the rev limiter starts kicking in. Mine rarely pops when i get on the limiter, just stops pulling. The wierd thing about this problem is everybody is not having it. I really think it has something to do with fuel delivery, more than jetting. I would raise my float level first, then tune by the plug from there.

Quick Reply: Need help with my Predators