Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Enlighten me on Polaris 4wd please...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enlighten me on Polaris 4wd please...

Thanks, Farmr, at least one of the rollovers I witnessed was probably in part due to the situation you described in the final paragraph. I do think rider inexperiance plays a part too.

I wasn't trying to make it sound like the On Demand system was a design flaw, though. Rather I was wondering if the uniqueness of it's design could have contributed to the accidents. Every machine has peculiarities that the rider needs to adjust for.

Old 02-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Pechmial: I think you bring up a valid point. Since the Polaris system is unlike any other 4wd setup used on an ATV, you can't just hop on one, and expect it to react like all the other ones out there. I have found that you need a little more momentum to jump a 'shelf' on a steep hill with good traction with a Polaris than other machines. If there is enough slip for the front to engage, just drive it like any other machine with a locker. But if you are uncertain if the front is engaged, hit it just a little faster than with another machine (the front suspension will absorb the bump better than most) and ease off the gas just as you hit it, to help keep the front end down. Add a little bit of gas just as the rear wheels are about to hit. That way, if the rear end bounces, you get the 6 inches or so of slip to engage the front end, and it will help pull the rear end over. This takes quite a bit of experience on how much to release the throttle, as well as when, and how much to gas it again. With practice, you can jump as big a shelf (or bigger) than anyone, but if you just try to 'lead thumb' your way up, you may be in for trouble.
I have yet to be 'outclimbed' by any other make of machine while on my Xplorer, but you need to realize it has been 'my' quad for 7200+ miles.

Old 02-20-2003, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

Good explanation Farmer, I agree with you.

Old 02-20-2003, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

I'm glad somebody brought this up. I think pech is right, and I never thought of it before, as far as hillclimbing is concerned. I will try to remember that so I don't flip over. I don't like climbing real steep hills much to begin with, and my 700 makes me more nervous than my Scrambler ever did. If anyone hears of a way to change the on demand to off and on 4x4 I'd like to hear about it. The on-demand system sucks! I wish I could have "true" 4x4 when I want it, not when a Polaris engineer thinks I need it. It does work great in mud, but it is a pain in the *** in snow. The more I think about it the more it ticks me off. If there weren't so many things I like about the Sportsman, I'd probably consider something else.

Old 02-21-2003, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks then, it's what I thought it was. A combination of the peculiarities of the design combined with rider inexperiance. I was just wondering why I see all these shiny Sportsmans lying in pieces at the bottom of hills.

I think it's a mistake to think you can go from ANY ATV to any other and ride the same. They all have their peculiarities. My Cat, as I've mentioned has a weight bias towards the front. This is great for uphill climbs, but makes the down hills tricky. Once the rider is aware of his machines "features" (that's what we call "bugs" in the programming realm) then he/she is more prepared to ride it.

I'm thinking of adding some sport machines to the "stable" (that preditor sure looks nice!) and I've already began to educate my son as to the differences he can expect.

Old 03-04-2003, 03:14 PM
Range Rover

Thank you Farmr123 for your time & consideration on your replies. Also wish to thank Pechmial
for posting a question that is of the utmost importance to a lot of SP trail riders.I'm glad you persisted & got Farmr involved,also Big Daddy T. As the owner a 600SP,i knew exactly where you were coming from,& Farmr put it into words that every SP owner should read & adhere to.
This is my first post on this forum,but i visited as a guest a couple of times.I'll always look for
posts that are genuine & informative. I don't go for product bashing, there's a lot of good rides out there, but none of them are perfect.Anybody going to the Rocky Mt. ATV Jamboree in
Sept., out in the beautiful state of Utah? Is there any Okie's on this forum?

Regards,
Jerico1

Old 03-04-2003, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

Your welcome, Jerico1, and welcome to the forum. Generally you will find helpful advice here, though occasionally you may need to "weed through" things a little to get to it.

Old 03-04-2003, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Jerico1, Glad to have you on the forum.

Farmr

Old 03-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

The rear wheels don't have to slip to engage the 4-wheel drive, as soon as you flip the switch it is engaged. Try it on blacktop and see what I mean.

Old 03-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

The rear wheels don't have to slip to engage the 4-wheel drive, as soon as you flip the switch it is engaged. Try it on blacktop and see what I mean.
please elaborate on this......

are you implying that the 4 wheels are locked and always being turned, while the switch is 'on'

Quick Reply: Enlighten me on Polaris 4wd please...