Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

After reading this post Bill450es you need to watch ATV Television

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2000, 03:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zooropa, Don't believe every thing you read, I havn't noticed the push in corners at all.

Old 04-18-2000, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

I read a post awhile back about a guy who jack up his Rancher on stands and left one front wheel on the ground and that wheel with the only traction would not turn is that true?If that was a Polaris he would be fixing a hole in the side of his garage where his bike went through the wall.

Old 04-18-2000, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Bob4x4,

I ride an '87 Honda 350 Four-Trax and a 98 Polaris Sportsman 500.

On the pushing issue in the corners - it is certainly there on my '87. It would much rather go straight than turn. Keeping in mind that the '87 is some of the early Honda technology, and certainly some of the early 4wd ATV technology. Things may have changes drastically in the Honda line in the last decade.

As for the whole pissing contest, I would really like to stay out of it. On the weekends the Polaris and Honda share the same mud and swamp. They both carry tow ropes and they both get towed on occasion. Red or green, I am just happy that the other machine is there to get me out!

DJ

Old 04-18-2000, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

amen DJ.

now can this thread die a peaceful death?

i ride with a grizz, scrambler 500, BB350 2x4, and a whole buncha other bikes. we take turns pulling each other out. thats part of the game. nothing is unstopable. you can even hang up a hummer......i've seen it done.

Old 04-18-2000, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

Deej, I've found that the Honda 450s' push more in corners than the new Ranchers. I think that your Honda has a Simular differential to the 450s' so you are right. Which system is better Hondas or Polaris'? Neither, Its a matter of prefferance.

Old 04-18-2000, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

Who prefers 3wd?If a Polaris behaved like a Honda in a low traction situation it would be called broken.I did a pull off against my cousin's 400 Forman and I know it would of faired better if all 4 wheels would of dug in at the same time.

Old 04-18-2000, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

are you runnin a 500 or 335? the 500 will just overpaower the forman400 and the 335 would win because of the wieght. On limited slips if all four wheels are gettin equal traction then ALL FOUR WHEELS PULL. the only time you will get the three wheel stuff is when one wheel is in the air. on the rancher the new diff. is completly different. the wheel that needed the traction has always gotten the traction (at least on mine).

and the "test" where you put the quad on jack stands with one wheel on the ground.....how often do you run into that on the trails or in the woods?? you have to be trying to do something like that.

Old 04-18-2000, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Well this 400 Honda did not pull 4 wheels at the same time so he should get it fixed? It was in a grass field with with all 4 on the ground.As for the guy with the jack stand trick I think he just wanted to see his Sur-Trac system in action and did'nt see it happen.

Old 04-18-2000, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

i'm no engineer or anything like that. but in every situation i've seen where all four wheels have equal traction, all four wheels pull. i haven't riddin with any forman 400's so i cant speak fot them. on a grizz, on my rancher, on a wolverine, and on a scrambler all four wheels pull when all four wheels have even amounts of traction. he may want to have it checked out but then again it may be functioning fine.....

Old 04-18-2000, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

I just have one thing to say before we let this die, I see nothing wrong with us all discussing this friendly, joking and comparing ideas, man some of you guys would never last working around a police dept., I am afraid you would go around all the time mad, and Rancheres I don't have to much time on my hands I work 3 to 4 12 hour shifts a week, I was just giving an answer to a previous post that Bill450es had commented on. As far as the rancher in the mud I would say it does spin both wheels but if it is anything like and I do think it is just about identical to the AC limited slip system when going up really steep stuff when some real pressure is on the front the wheels do alternate as they do on my cat. What is your view on this Andy??? You know fellows I do like things on the Cat better than some of the stuff on the Polaris like the ride height on steep stuff so I am not biased either. And one last answer to a comment made which was:

Thanks Trailboss 450, I too can't believe how many people have absolutely no idea how limited slip differentials work. I would like to say that the Ranchers new diff. WILL send power to the front wheel with traction. Soooooo could someone please explain to me what advantage a Polaris with the so called "true 4-wheel drive"has over the Honda Rancher, when stuck with one front tire in the air? Seems to me that the only differance is that the Polaris would be spinnig the tire in the air, while the Honda would only be spinning one front tire, the one with traction. I guess the Polaris has an advantage if you guys say so.

My question to this reply is BUT and I do say BUT when the Polaris has all 4 wheels on the ground does it not have better pulling power than the limited slip??? Well got to go fellows got to much time on my hands taking a transport to Pennsylvania...later

Quick Reply: After reading this post Bill450es you need to watch ATV Television