Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Differences between ATV & Sled Drive Clutches?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences between ATV & Sled Drive Clutches?

I see a lot of Polaris drive clutches on ebay and elsewhere for sale but seldom see any ATV drive clutches. Can anyone enlighten me on the differences between the two types? I would expect differences in weight sizes and springs. But what about the main parts like the sheaves or dimensions?

Thanks.

SurferSam

Old 02-20-2003, 10:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

There's some machining required to fit the sled clutches on the atv's. Team Performance has come out with a great performance secondary roller. Available direct from them, or HPD, Hot Seat also carry them. Comet has just recently come out with a performance primary, and HPD is also in the R&D stages (don't call and ask, I'll post when it's ready) of a new performance primary. These two are a lot less work to get to fit than adapting the sled units....different fit.

Old 02-21-2003, 08:28 AM
Trailblazer

Here is a web site to check out. Text I haven't riden any atv's with rapid reaction clutch on them yet but they work sweet on the sleds. I might be a little bias because I work for Team Industries and have made a few of the clutches myself.

Old 02-21-2003, 09:49 AM
Trailblazer

I appreciate the responses. I suspected that there might be subtle differences in shaft diameter, offset, etc. But I couldn't find any posts that specifically addressed using the sled parts for the atv. I was hoping that I could pick up a set of sheaves for the primary clutch on my sp'500 (and maybe different weights for experimentation).

SurferSam

Old 02-21-2003, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

If I remember right, the primary clutch in the sled has a bigger diameter than the one on the ATV. The secondary may be that way, too. The buttons & bushings to rebuild them were the same, but the pulley size itself was different.

Old 02-21-2003, 10:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly Farmer, the actual clutch size is larger on the sled units, and the secondary clutch is a keyed fit instead of a splined fit like the ATV. That allows them to run a taller gear. They will still take off well and obtain a better overdrive which is why they fly on top end. The sleds also use a 1&7/16 belt width which is wider than the ATV unit. You can make them work, but it takes some engineering and then you cant use the stock belt cover. Oh, and you would have to use both together to work properly.Bubba

Old 02-21-2003, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah, Bubba, you jogged my memory on the clutch cover issue with the sled clutches. It looks like the Comet, upcoming HPD, or Polaris primary clutch when I start my upgrade. I'm trying to improve the low end performance of the stock setup. You know the story - positive efficient belt hookup at low RPMs without the annoying belt slippage problems. I like the concept behind the heel clicker weights for low end hookup. But I can't get an answer from Heel Clicker if they will sell just the weights. I don't need any more primary springs, if you know what I mean.

Old 02-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I dont want to start thinking about the money invested in springs, weights, and helixes. I have 3 roller helixes alone at $60 each. I would wait if I could and see when the comet unit is available. I think it will be the hot ticket. Or maybe the hPD unit if it isnt too far down the road. I am so glad things are looking better for aftermarket clutch parts. We need as much as we can get with the belt drive.Bubba

Old 02-21-2003, 01:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Kinda long overdue!!! Too bad these things weren't out a few years ago. Allornothin, once I get the Comet primary, and your folk's secondary on, if you folks want a demo of HPD horsepower, I'll stop sometime on the way to Roseau. After the final metamorphosis of Modquad 1, the dirt should REALLY fly! Permission to buzz the tower. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]