Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Killer

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Killer

Originally posted by: modquad
Uh, Kevin, shaft drive? O.k. the only improvement that the Scrambler could've benefitted from would be the front shocks, instead of struts. I've poked all around this thing in person, got pics if anyone wants them, it's a tank. Geez, at least you can stand on one side of a Scrambler and see some daylight from the other side. They've got this thing STUFFED in there. Gotta agree with Bubba, this is definitely a Dirty Wheels spin job. I pity the fool who gets this two wheel drive beast stuck in the mud. You might as well give it a factory installed winch.
As the owner of TWO Scramblers, I think I can be more unbiased than any of you, especially you Ken. Personally I love the thought of shaft drive compared to the Polaris system that snaps a chain every time you jump it and needs adjusted every other ride. The only benefit is the shocks? So you like one-lever brakes? So you think the Scrambler frame is sporty? So you think the 500 engine compares to the 700 twin? So you like floorboards? Kawasaki, (unlike everyone else who have done nothing but make new and improved 400ex's) has a new idea and I think they'll sell all they can make. Its funny how the ATV Connection review, the off-road.com review and now the DirtWheels review all love the machine, but people who have never ridden it already know all the negatives.

You guys sound EXACTLY like the guys in the other forums who were talking trash on the Predator before it came out.

Old 02-27-2003, 06:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Polaris Killer

Ding, ding, here we go!! Now if you'll take the time to scroll down in Bubba's and my signatures, you'll see ownership of highly modified "automatic" equipped quads. Dirty Wheels, and it's sister ATV Action have never givin the Sport/Scrambler line it's kudos in the potential department. Now all of a sudden this "REVOLUTIONARY" machine comes along. What's so revolutionary about copying what Polaris has been building for 10 years? Hello!!! As far as "Extreme air", have a nut Sparky.....just hope the frame holds out...unlike it's cousing the Z400. O.k. I'm going to my corner for a swig of Powerade (official drink of the NHL, I might add) so let's hear it.

Old 02-27-2003, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris Killer

I know you own a highly modified Polaris as do I. The difference between you and me is that I won't trash something I haven't ridden and don't know anything about, but unlike you, I WILL say something bad about a Polaris if it is necessary.

Old 02-27-2003, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris Killer

Yeah, ATV Sport is the best magazine for actually reading....the only reason I buy the other ones is for the pics. Second their really isnt anything "Revolutionary" about it.......nothing, maybe the the V-Twin & Sealed Rear Disc in a "Sport" ATV, I'm not taking anything away from the machine...I"m sure it'll be fun and it will probably be the fastest stock quad plus I like riding an Auto once in awhile ecspecially in the woods. It's just not a MXer, not to say you couldnt have a blast with it on an MX track........it's just not a competitive MX racer.

Old 02-27-2003, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris Killer

Hey my favorite part of my Polaris IS modifying it. I have alot of fun adding things to It and making it better in ways that I think I need it. It is simple and fun to work on and I have learned alot in the process. I will keep my Polaris for a long time because it is simple. I don't like the new quads because they are getting too complicated for an average Joe to work on them. As technology and goodies evolve so does the price and the price to get them fixed. I love technology, but not on my 4 wheeler because then it would no longer be my toy, It would be what ever the manufacturers decides it should be. Prime example here is shaft drive, when (i said when) it breaks or tears up, can I fix it and how much is that going to cost? I've only had to replace my chain and sprockets once on my 98 and never broke or derailed a chain from jumping. I did the stuff myself and it costed 175 bucks. Same goes for fuel injection, computerized atvs. I have a 2001 Sea Doo that I love, It is very fast and dependable, 0-60 in 4 seconds on water, but I can't modify it without taking it to the dealer and having the computer re-programmed, so that sucks. Oh yeh and god forbid something break on it, I can barely get to the battery to remove it for winter so If something breaks, off to the dealer for $50 an hour labor costs and $800 for a broke shaft? (hope not) Anyway this is my opinion, I could be wrong. Polaris Is not the best I am sure, but I am happy with what I ride and I am not going to knock another man for what he rides, but that Kawi has no place in my garage! My .02 ... He,He thanks got that off my chest.

Old 02-27-2003, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris Killer

If a auto sport was going to be a hit, then why did Polaris stop making the 2x4 Scrambler 500. I heard not enough sales to justify production. Granted the 700 will have more power and not use struts, but I think the weight, auto, and price will shun people away. I think at first it will sell well, but will die off. Heck there are almost 29000 members of this forum, and there are only a handfull that are talking about getting one. And not many are talking about it in other forums either, so that shows me, there is not much interest in this atv. I have a sp700, and yes it weighs a lot. For the most part, you can't feel the extra weight and has plenty of power to move it. But the time I do feel the weight is when I'm horseing around with it, and try to ride it like a sport quad. Thats why I got the Predator, to take care of my wild side. But I just can't see paying $6500 for a quad that will not handle as good as the other sport quads. You can have all the power in the world, but if you don't have the suspension to handle it, it won't do you any good. Ask Raptor owners, they have all the power, but there suspension isn't the greatest. And there is no one here that can convince me that a 516lb atv is going to handle better then a atv, a 100lbs lighter. Especially with only a little over 7" of travel in the rear.

Old 02-27-2003, 08:11 PM
RPM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris Killer

[quote]
Originally posted by: modquad
Dirty Wheels, and it's sister ATV Action have never givin the Sport/Scrambler line it's kudos in the potential department. Now all of a sudden this "REVOLUTIONARY" machine comes along. What's so revolutionary about copying what Polaris has been building for 10 years?

Is that what this is all about? You are upset because the Magazines that you claim aren't worth the paper they are printed on, don't give your quads enough respect?

I can respect your oppinions about a Quad if it is based on your knowledge of that quad, but to flame a quad that isn't even out yet because your feelings have been hurt by the magazines and their lack of praise for Polaris Autos, seems a little juvenile.

I will tell you this, if my KFX700 doesn't measure up to all of the hype, I will be on here telling you all about it. NO B.S. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Powerade is also the Official drink of the NHRA. Here's to drinkin with ya.

Old 02-27-2003, 08:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polaris Killer

Originally posted by: GE4x4
If a auto sport was going to be a hit, then why did Polaris stop making the 2x4 Scrambler 500.
Because they dont make enough power for what they are. They didnt have a good combo like the 400 powerplant.
And RPM, no one here is really bashing the quad itself except that it will get big air and weighs over 500 lbs. The bashing is the whole idea of the quad being idolized with it's auto transmission when all they did was bash Polaris for it. but since someone else is making it now it is wonderful for a "true" sport quad. Turn these tables around. If all the quads were autos, then someone say Honda came out with a manual transmission and you bought one. Your mag you subscribed to bashed the manual saying it was no good for trail riding and duning for getting stuck. Well a few years later here comes a new Suzuki that has that feature and now it is a great quad for everything. How would you feel? Like I said before I dont expect you to understand this thread or most people as far as that goes. Call it juvenile or whatever the hell you want as I simply do not care. I do know that I will be spanking all of them no matter if it's racing,jumping, or whatever, and I only have $4500.00 invested in my entire quad. It's going to be a big heavy flying lead weight that is going to munch belts when the public gets ahold of it.

Old 02-27-2003, 11:48 PM
RPM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris Killer

Fair enough, that is your oppinion and you are definately entitled to it. The only flaw that I can find with your logic is that you are making your comparison based solely on the basis that because the Polaris Auto Quads and the KFX700 both have Auto Tranys are the same machine, when you and I, as well as everyone else knows that they are not the same.

--------------------------------------------------------

A note of interest: This is what Pro Level MX Racer Cory Ellis had to say about the KFX700 in the Dirt Wheels article.

He told Dirt Wheels (Taken word for word from the artical):

He feels it is one of the fastest production quads he's been on. He even thought it was as fast as race quads he has ridden.

"There is absolutely no slip on the auto clutch tranny," said Ellis. "It takes off instantly without any windup whatsoever. With the broad power spread of the 700 V-twin engine, it is real easy to get the front end up whenever you want to. Crack the throttle and crank out as long a wheelie as you want. The steering is also very precise, and it has a racer-like feel to it."
"The center of gravity is low, not on the high side like a Raptor. Suspension is good even for a big guy like me, and the steering is light and responsive. Overall, this is a great handling, incredibly fast and well-suspended sport quad," says Kory.

I'm all for waiting until it gets here and leting it speak for itself. Thanks for the debate. Everyone have a Powerade on me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2003, 12:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polaris Killer

Powerade,gatorade,water, it's ALL GOOD. This is what these froums were meant for. Everyone does have their own opinions. Actually look back, I didnt say they were the same or similar, that was someone else. I was just making an analogy of the belt drives and the ratings they got from the reviews. And another thing, I sure am learning how to type better in the last year.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Polaris Killer